Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flexi on the pre-cat downpipe on my CF3 Twinnie has seen better days and I have acquired a replacement with a new flexi welded in. So far I have managed to loosen off 3 out of the 4 nuts on the manifold to downpipe join. I can’t get to the last one (the back one nearest the engine) from above so will try again from underneath next time the car is jacked up. I’ve managed to free the long bolt that holds it to the engine. The downpipe to cat bolts are going to need an angle grinder though. Once they are all undone, does it just drop out or do I need to start removing other parts too? I’ve got a replacement gasket for the cat but do the fire rings need replacing too? Any advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone???

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... I’m still trying to decide whether to have a go myself or pay someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks... I’m still trying to decide whether to have a go myself or pay someone who knows what they are doing.
I don't know if access is the issue or not, like I say, I didn't try, but almost everything I have had to do has been made a lot, lot easier with the purchase of an electric impact guy - it was like £50 of eBay and it made changing my suspension a comparative breeze!

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are four studs where the downpipe joins the manifold. The front, left and right are fairly easy to get to and aren’t seized. The fourth is at the back and can’t be reached from above with a spanner or socket so I’m going to try from underneath with a crows foot. There is a bracket where it bolts onto the block which I have been able to loosen and finally where the downpipe bolts onto the cat. These are well rusty so it is either an angle grinder job if there is enough room or failing that a hacksaw or a metal cutting disc on a dremmel. Once that’s all done I’m still not sure if it will come straight out or if I need to start taking other bits off.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts