Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to swap the engine in our 2.0TS 147. :censored:

My current plan is to get the replacement engine ready with new cam and balance belts, off the car ahead of time and do a like for like swap. I don't have a ramp so the bonnet will be coming off and the engine will be coming out of the top.

What are the tricky steps in pulling the engine? I'm expecting that getting the exhaust manifold off will be the main spot with seized fasteners. Are there any other parts I should expect to need persuasion and any fasteners I should be getting replacements for in advance?

I have a half decent tool set - standard 3/8th drive hex sockets, Torx and E-torx sockets and the like. Are there any special tools I will need like deep sockets, RIBE drivers or very long extension bars?

Is it fair to expect two people to able to pull and refit an engine in a day if the replacement is all ready to go?

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
I usually drop the engine and box out below, lifting the car up enough to slide the engine out. If you are lifting the unit out of the top, you'll need to remove the engine mounts, at least - and the rear one in particular is held onto the block by some very tight nuts/bolts - good luck with undoing them with a 3/8 drive.......

You'll need a good quality inhex socket to release the inner driveshaft couplings, I use one coupled with a couple of long extension bars on my socket.

Exhaust manifold to head nuts often corrode, but usually come off, sometimes with their stud. Access behind the aircon compressor can be tricky.

Its well worth getting some ribe sockets....there are usually a few ribe fixings, and whilst you can often manage to get them with a torx or Allen socket, its always best to have the right kit.

Main things I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the info, it's very much appreciated. I have got a rattle gun, breaker bars and a selection of 1/2" drive sockets for stubborn fixings. That said, you can undo a lot with heat, a 3/8th breaker and a 4lb lump hammer :biglaugh:

I take it by inhex you mean hex key sockets? If so, I've got a few - the halfords professional set that goes up to 10mm from memory. I'll get some RIBE bits ordered and a few spare manifold fixings.

As for dropping the engine out from below, I suspect I'd run into difficulty getting the car high enough - my highest lift jack probably manages 14-18" off the floor on a good day, and my axle stands will run out of height somewhere similar. Or is the trick to lift the whole front of the car up with the engine crane and then prop the car before dropping the engine? Alternately I could go down the brute force and ignorance route and lift the car using our fork truck, but I'd rather not!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Ive only ever taken them out the top personally. Never really dropped them out thebottom . Just lifted out with the crane simple enough after removing the bonnet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys. Is it fair to expect to be able to pull and engine and replace like for like in a day? Neither myself or my friend who has volunteered to give me a hand have done a car engine swap before - I'm a reasonably handy DIY mechanic and my mate is a very good motorbike mechanic, so I'm hoping that between us and a workshop manual we wont get stuck for too long :biglaugh:

I've read that the engine and box can come out of the bottom without pulling the subframe out - is that really correct?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Thats correct.

With two you should do it. But id vouch for two days realistically if youve not done it before.

On my own it took me three days. But I also gave the car an overhaul and swapped gearboxes.

Second time I did it in two days on my own on a drive with a slope. So a day is possible as long as you've got the tools and work hard. Also helps if the engine and gearbox are already attached and ready to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts