Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone got a guide or done this?

I've looked at elearn and also AlfaWorkshop's how-to.

What I can't work out is the ABS sensor. It seems to be pressed into the hub carrier and needs a "special" tool to replace it. It's the early version ('98).

I've got the new hub assembly and a hub puller, but this wasn't something I had seen on any of the posts or websites.

So any advice is truly welcomed. I need to do this tomorrow, so apologies for the short notice!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've not done that job on a 156 but ABS sensors rarely come out in one piece. Is there a connector you can undo so you can take the hub carrier out with sensor still attached? If so you may be able to drive out and replace hub without disturbing it?

Keith

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears there's a connector plug which goes through the brake backing plate. But from the elearn pics, the sensor is located in the rear of the hub ... so it may be poss to drift it out.

But if the inner bearing race stays stuck, it may dislodge it anyway!

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK, well elearn was next useless as the ABS sensor on mine is mounted on the backing plate.

Hut nut (36mm) came off relatively easily with a old impact driver and 4lb hammer and 24" breaker bar. Gave it a few whacks to loosen it up and then my weight on the end of the bar worked. That out the way, on with the hub puller (Sealey AK713) and started to turn using the bar provided. Then switched to a 1/2" ratchet for more leverage. Slowly watched the hub assembly moving off the stub axle.

Now the fun started ... inner race in rearmost bearing stayed put. And that metal is HARD! Titanium drill bit doesn't even stratch it! (Is was hoping to drill a couple of holes to weaken it). Not sure even my angle grinder would work unless I found a disc that can cut this ..

So I've no taken the offending hub assembly off with the idea of taking it to a local garage .. to remove race and replace hub (although latter should be relatively easy!). The hub bush bolt and longer lower bolts weren't hard as both has been replaced in the past two years .. the upper one though was a PITA ... and didn't really want to leave it's home .. it did!

L

·
0 Posts
any slim grinder cutting disc will cut thro the 'race', just cut a clot in it but no all the way thro. then use a 'cold chisel' to braek it apart, PLEASE use eye protection

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just changed both rear hubs sides on a Fiat multipla today its the same as for AR 146 and several other FIAT ,ALFA and Lancia,the worst part was the hub nut,simply ran out of extendable handles my body weight is not a problem!.The inner race was stucked on the axel,but was very easy to remowe using a very flat sharp chisel ,just place the tip between the inner bearing and the back plate , there is just enough < 1 mm space to do this job.
One or two gentle tap with the small hammer and it's off.
look at picture 5 : https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxmaWF0bXVsdGlwbGF8Z3g6MTBjM2I2NjhiOWVhMTcwZA
Yes I know it's a different baking system!!!!
Just checked my new spare rear hub for my AR 156 2003 ( ABS yes ) it´s exactely the same as the Fiat Multipla, a magnetic ring, close to the backplate, on the rotating hub , gives the signal for the abs sensor , the abs sensor goes through the back plate.
William Lütken :)

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again"

Or as my Dad used to say, "You ain't using a big enough hammer!"

I had a go with the angle grinder approach. I wasn't sure it would work as the only discs I have are for stone I think, but I set about the bearing race and it did start to wear away.

So I kept at it until the metal started to get very thin. At the back it's a lot thicker so I just cut a fair bit away. I'd manager to create a "lip" in the race, so whacked it every now and then with a 4lb and chisel. Nothing, so kept grinding.

Then one hit made the race move slightly. A bigger couple of knocks moved it further and started to move it out from the back of the stub axle. Now I could get a chisel down the back and eventually ... off it pinged. There is a hair-line crack through the thinnest part!

Now I see the two holes that another forum member referred to. They are visible from the rear of the hub assembly: one above and one below the stub axle. But they are so small I'm not sure I'd have had anything small enough or strong enough to punch the race off that way. It was pretty solid on the stub axle. The heat from the grinding probably also helped a bit.

Anyway, cleaned up the stub axle, especially at the hub where it was pretty rusty in a couple of places. Then drifted the new hub and bearings on as far as I could. Fitted the hub nut and tightened it up.

Replaced the hub assembly, and then tightened the hub nut as far as I could using the breaker bar and my weight bouncing on the end (I'm around 10 1/2 stone). Stopped when I couldn't get the nut to move any more. Staked it to the stub axle, replaced the end cap and torqued everything up. Refitted the brake disc and caliper, then wheel. Spun the wheel and with fingers resting on the bottom of the spring, felt ... nothing. Smooth as a baby's b*m!

Quick test drive. No rumbles.

Now to order that new tyre tomorrow ... yes, inner edge worn completely away as I first thought it was the disc binding. Brakes needed replacing at the rear, but rumble stayed on after. Moral in the tale there. Jack up the car and rest fingers on the spring. Spin the wheel and feel the damaged bearing cause vibrations!

(I really need two new rears, but funds after Christmas are a little depleted! Especially as
I had to buy the bearing kit and removal tool as well. I'll get the other tyre replaced early next month!)

I'll post pics next week.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on Gaz this has to be a How for now on your website......

I've done this a few times the process i similar on a fair few of the Alfa/Fiat/lancia machines...

Just wait till you have to do a front one...

It will be ... just need a few days to get the words in order and pics downloaded from camera.

;)

So what's the front one like? More of an issue because of drive-shaft?

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What to get the hub assembly on?!? Or to get the bearings into the hub??

Oh and the other good news ... no abs light so I didn't screw that up in my efforts. I was a bit worried about that, especially when I found out they are the best part of a £100! :wow:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
ten ton press:cheese:
What to get the hub assembly on?!? Or to get the bearings into the hub??

Oh and the other good news ... no abs light so I didn't screw that up in my efforts. I was a bit worried about that, especially when I found out they are the best part of a £100! :wow:
Getting the hub square on the press to remove the bearing, and of couse the inner of the two bearing race's also remain in the hub...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts