Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, could do with some advice.

I have a replacement lift up reverse alfa gear knob and experiencing a problem removing the old one. I have tried straddling the centre console and twist and pull, but won't budge.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thank you Tony

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I ended up destroying the old one...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thought as much had to do the same on my GTV only to find when i cut it off the new one didn't quite fit, thank you Tony

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Cuore, i will give it another try before i get the stanley knife and mini hacksaw out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine wouldnt twist off as the shaft is grooved at the top (as is the stock gear knob). It just required brute force.

Put it into 2nd gear, sit in the passenger seat (if you are right handed, its easier this way), wear a set of rubber gloves (oh and try putting a plastic bag over the gear knob too to catch the spring.

Like someone said above, try not to knock yourself out. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I managed to yank mine off while I was driving - and now it doesn't seem to stay back on - is there a trick - does it need some sort of glue... reluctant to use superglue as this may result in not being able to get it off again if it needs to.

Any suggestions?

S

·
0 Posts
If you are not going to reuse or sell on the old gear knob, then give it a twist a few degrees with a big pair of water pump pliers on it. Listen for the crack as the splines plastic bit jumps a tooth, it then comes off easily by pulling. If you are going to keep it, do just the same, but use an old leather belt to protect the gear knob while you do it, or some chunks of thick rubber.

To refit, just whack it back on with a rubber mallet, or a wooden mallet would do. In both cases use thick leather or rubber to pad the top and pound it in.

My GTA gear knob underwent the twist to remove and whack back on operation 3 times before I found a good alternative knob.

Avoid aftermarket, they just don't fit properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts