Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:D

I need some advice, I would like to replace the steering wheel in my Mito and I haven’t had a lot of success finding an alternative (I just find it looks kind of plastic and I hate the perforated leather parts on it).

I have seen the three wheels from shop.alfisti.net but don’t like any of them either.

I do like the look of the Giulietta wheel, I know the only difference between the two is some red stitching and the type of leather used, but that is enough of a change to work, however I got in contact with the parts department of Alfa in Leicester and they have said the Giulietta wheel wouldn’t work as the airbag and wiring prevents it from being used with a Mito.

Now I would love the Mito GTA steering wheel but I doubt that is going to be a possibility is it :cry:

I’ve even thought of getting a midlands based company to retrim it for me but haven’t found one that would do it without me taking the airbag out etc and then sending them the basic wheel "for a week or two"

Please could someone give me some advice on what I should do, or should I 'just leave well enough alone'

Cheers guys:thumbs:

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you can get hold of a new cloverleaf wheel - it is made of the same softer leather as the giuliettas. might have to put up with or change the green& white stitching though

i think that the softer leather feels cheaper than the holey one - but goes to show how different people's opinions are! :)

i think the mito's steering wheel is really classy for a car at this price - I like the perforated leather particularly.

same goes for the interior in general - a lot of reviewers criticise it for being a bit cheap feeling. really odd in my view - having sat in and driven many similarly priced and slightly pricier cars (astras, fiestas, polos, golfs, focuses) i can say i think its interior is significantly better.

ho hum

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi vorsprung, i think you have a point, maybe im just set in my ways of how i want my steering wheel to look and feel because of the other cars i have owned... and i will be the first to admit that even though i try my best working out what is classy and stylish i do tend to get it wrong sometimes, thats why i thought i would asked what you guys thought about it hehehe:D

Hey NineOneSix thanks for your suggestions, i never thought about the evo wheel. I think transcal are the people who said they would need me to take the wheel off first, which is a shame because some of the pictures on their site look really impressive

·
Registered
573 Posts
hi hughzy

if you are going to dismantle the wheel, i would have a look here for advice

not quite the same thing but you don't want to go about fiddling and getting whacked in the noggin by a deployed airbag.

i see from your info you have a cloverleaf - therefore a new 2011 cloverleaf wheel with new leather might be the best fit - better than an abarth one IMO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers vorsprung I have looked through that thread and dont think I'm up to the task of trying to remove the wheel myself :D...

BBZ, Thank you for sharing the picture, even though its only slightly different from the wheel I have now it just ticks all of the niggle boxes I have with my steering wheel!

I take it you can feel it is a leather wrapped steering wheel and doesnt have the 'plastic' kind of feel to it like mine?

Can i just say a big thank you to everyone who has replied, you could have all had a dig about the fact im being so picky with this but instead you have all really helped THANK YOU :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Same, but l believe you can spec the QV steering wheel with red stitching instead of green and white for no extra cost. I like that. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I ordered my QV I presumed that it would come with the QV steering wheel from the 2010 demonstrator ... Perforated / plain leather mix with black stitching .
However Alfa changed the design to all plain leather with green stitching as standard for 2011 and would not fit the 2010 type which I preferred.
So I had to have the stitching dyed black when the car arrived in the Uk .

I agree that the look and feel of a steering wheel is the most important design feature of any car .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You had the stitching on your wheel dyed black :eek:, thats awesome how did you do that? I never would of guessed!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Why would any one.want green stiching?
i'm 'anyone' ;)

it's green and white as matches the green and white stitching in the seats, gaitor and handbrake. green and white for the green and white cloverleaf as you might have guessed

whether you like that or not is a matter of opinion however

i think it looks quite subtle, and is certainly unique

1 - 16 of 16 Posts