Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2018 Giulia Super, I want to change the standard "yellowish" running lights with some upgraded "xenon look" ones. The removal process is simple but reassembly can be tricky, some advice for anybody wanting to do the same upgrade:
- remove central rubber cover (this is just pressure mounted)
- rotate bulb holder 5° anticlockwise
- reassembly is reverse process, just remember that wire connector is at the top and final position of connector holder is vertical - so insert already rotated 5° to the left and rotate to vertical position, it will click into place (after many failed attempts!!!)

Working space is extremely limited but it can be done. Unclear why they don't factory fit these as the dipped beams are already extremely white in color and the drls contrast with these...

While i was at it I also replaced all w5w bulbs around the car with some led ones too!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hmmm... this will only make the car look weird, with all these different shades of white light "fighting" each other.

Either go with xenon/LED or halogen, do not mix between them.

In my opinon, Alfa should not even offer ancient halogen lights at all.

·
Registered
35,750 Posts
"In my opinon, Alfa should not even offer ancient halogen lights at all."

That's fine but the motor industry business model is based on building a cost-control entry model and being able to earn incrementally more on more desirable versions. If you put the upgraded lamps on the base model you could not raise its price as it is still a base model and there's nothing reserved to justify the higher price of a higher series model. Basic economics , until everybody fits LED to every car.

·
Registered
445 Posts
"In my opinon, Alfa should not even offer ancient halogen lights at all."

That's fine but the motor industry business model is based on building a cost-control entry model and being able to earn incrementally more on more desirable versions. If you put the upgraded lamps on the base model you could not raise its price as it is still a base model and there's nothing reserved to justify the higher price of a higher series model. Basic economics , until everybody fits LED to every car.
This is exactly right, the upsell is vital, often it costs an extra £1000 for 'fancy' lights that might only cost the manufacturer £20 more to fit. It's the higher spec' models that make the profit while the lower spec cars are there to hook people in with "from £25000" marketing statements and make up the volume.

The current LED DRL's are perfect for this excercise becaue they look so much better (more up-to-date) even from a distance and are difficult (or impossible) to retrofit onto base models. That's why halogens are still a thing.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well...

There should be three different hadlights I agree, however, they should be:
- 25W Xeonons
- 35W AFL Xenons
- Matrix LED (knock knock its 2018)

Audi released A4 at about the same time as Alfa did Giulia, and it has either Xenons or Matrix LEDs, but FCA is as usual always last to implement latest tech (matrix LEDs in this case - which in fact aren't that fresh in 2018 anyway).

·
Registered
35,750 Posts
Each company has priorities for its brand DNA. For Audi the lamps are very important. For Alfa Romeo it's carbon driveshafts and rear drive etc. They still sell with halogen lamps ,for the moment, so why give them away? Not that you can actually order a base Stelvio here.
(Also, the Mito and the Giulietta were relatively early users of LED tail lamps.)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Excuses excuses - Renault offers LED headlights in a Clio. Whatever priorites each brand has, after so manny years of LED headlights on the market (first LED headlights 2006, first matrix LED headlights 2013), Giulia should had them from 2016, just as every other brand out there offered them in 2016 in this price range (MB C, Audi A4, BMW 3, Jaguar XE and then there are cheaper Mazda 6, Peugeot 507, Passat, Renault Talisman...).
Alfa is coming absolutely last to the party. They also recieved a lot of criticism from press and public about it, and they said that they are coming - after 2 years - no sign of them. Not to mention a plethora of gizmos offered by competition, still not present in Alfas...

Hopefully some new stuff is finally coming with factory shotdown and upgraded engines. After all Maserati lineup got matrix LED headlights this year so putting them into Alfas should be quick an easy...

Sorry for off-topic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some before (left) and after (right) pics...though difference is hard to spot!! I agree that LEDs should be standard, actually I thought they were and only discovered otherwise when I collected the car!!

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I remember doing the lamp upgrade on my previous 10 year old 159. Agree, we should not need to do this on a modern car. Plus the whole front end mean look of the Giulia is characterized by the shape of the Xenon's and LED Drls. Why spoil it? Its not just lights, the upsell is in other areas too, for example, even on the Super trim the standard seats are very flat and unsupportive. Having said all that Alfa seems to have other priorities least of which is understanding customer needs and preferences especially here in the UK.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Some before (left) and after (right) pics...though difference is hard to spot!! I agree that LEDs should be standard, actually I thought they were and only discovered otherwise when I collected the car!!
I changed over in my 2 series to what was supposed to be the closest measurement to Xenon available for legal use and they made very little difference.

What do yours look like - was it worth it?

I was all set to buy a used Giulia early next year but as I have a little "car savings" pot every year will only have around £25k which I don't think will get one of the higher specs and I really want "proper" lights.

·
Registered
445 Posts
will only have around £25k which I don't think will get one of the higher specs and I really want "proper" lights.
Since a brand new Veloce is less than £31k (mine was in December) I'd expect you could get a nice spec used Giulia for your £25k.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts