Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've snapped one of my keys for my 2004 GTV and looking to get a replacement. Does anyone know the best way of getting another key cut? I have a spare which I use but would like another one.

Also, the remote locking seems to have packed in, any ideas on a one stop shop to get this all taken care of? Any help appreciated, I'm based in Edinburgh

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I found you need the JMA brand as the other brand(cant remember name) has too short a shaft (oh er) for thye P2 and P3 ignition barrels.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I found you need the JMA brand as the other brand(cant remember name) has too short a shaft (oh er) for thye P2 and P3 ignition barrels.
do not purchase your own of EBAY though and take it in as i did................ they only offer this cloning service if you purchases there key from themselves

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
This eBay seller provided a good service, £20, accurately cutting from photos I supplied, they can also cut from the key code. They will also cut a key that has the rubber central locking button, and (I think) the earlier version of 916 keys. see other eBay ads

BUT.... they do not clone the immobiliser chip, this can be cut out of the old key & placed into the hollow replacement key. Or simply transferred from the button variety

NOR do they supply the circuit for the rubber button key

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131275708399

Rich

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys

thanks for the advice Danny. I went along to Timpsons and they were able to cut a replacement key (JMA Brand, as you say Oliver) it was done in less than 5 minutes and cost £40 which I thought was pretty reasonable. Its not a red Alfa key mind you but it will do as a spare.

I'll have a look at that ebay site Rich, never thought of that before but could be useful

At least I have a spare key now which gives me peace of mind

thanks again all!
Paul

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry for rekindling this thread.

Do you need a master key or can Timpsons make a fully working version from a copy/slave key?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
any key you have at Timpsons will re program you another key

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Sorry for rekindling this thread.

Do you need a master key or can Timpsons make a fully working version from a copy/slave key?
Yes, the master key is only used to program a new key. The cloned key is exactly the same as the copied key, so no reprogramming required ?
any key you have at Timpsons will re program you another key
I should have answered no!

Brad is correct, the programming I referred to was programming a new key on the car.

Timsons will copy the chip in any key, thus no action on the car is required to allow it to work (the car thinks it is your original key)

?

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you don't have a master key but you want your spare key cloned, when do you actually need the master key?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I do not have a master key, Never have had it ever and have had keys cloned through Timpsons before, Also had to have a new lock set and yellow box and also had keys made and cloned for that lock set too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts