Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just bought an X reg 156 which came with just one red key.
I would like to get a second key as being a woman I have a talent for misplacing keys :rolleyes:
My nearest Alfa Romeo dealer quoted £240 . :(
Does this have to come from a main dealer or can I get one from elsewhere ??

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Main dealer but £240 sounds steep .. thought they were nearer £180. You not only have to get a key cut to suit, it has to be programmed to the car, so you will have to take the car and existing key to them when it's in to get it programmed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, I had to get a new key for my 156, it only had one key with it and that was on it's last legs. Glad I did, because I've now lost the original key following a house move! For me the key cost around £130 + 1/2 hour labour to program it for my car.

I'm thinking of getting my NEW spare key SH (from a scrapper) and taking it to a dealer to have it coded. Assuming the dealer would be willing to trust that I haven't stolen the key! Anyone tried this route?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Yeah, I had to get a new key for my 156, it only had one key with it and that was on it's last legs. Glad I did, because I've now lost the original key following a house move! For me the key cost around £130 + 1/2 hour labour to program it for my car.

I'm thinking of getting my NEW spare key SH (from a scrapper) and taking it to a dealer to have it coded. Assuming the dealer would be willing to trust that I haven't stolen the key! Anyone tried this route?
If you do a search you will find loads of threads on this, all confusing!!. From my own personal experiance. You can only use a second hand key, to be coded to your car, if you know the code of that key, which of course you wont. The second hand key also wont be correct to unlock your car and you need a new blade cut. This can be done but it is a little hit and miss who can do it. Some locksmiths can, some can't. In the end I bit the bullett and got 2 new keys at £180 each including coding.

Now, give it 10 mins and someone will come along telling you I am talking rubbish, but as I said, i did try all the options first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you do a search you will find loads of threads on this, all confusing!!. From my own personal experiance. You can only use a second hand key, to be coded to your car, if you know the code of that key, which of course you wont. The second hand key also wont be correct to unlock your car and you need a new blade cut. This can be done but it is a little hit and miss who can do it. Some locksmiths can, some can't. In the end I bit the bullett and got 2 new keys at £180 each including coding.

Now, give it 10 mins and someone will come along telling you I am talking rubbish, but as I said, i did try all the options first.
Thanks Mitch - exactly what I thought having tried to pick my way throught the various posts - looks liek a trip to the dealer - best I go sell one fo the kids to pay for it :):thumbs:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I'm stuck with one key too. I'm thinking that the cheapest option is to buy a full lockset + all the keys + keycode ecu from a breakers. They're only fetching £50- 100 on ebay so it's fairly cheap too, I don't fancy buying them off ebay though.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Try rgwm. He's got a few sets, I think.

I've only got one key, but I've got a spare ecu set (and associated key) somewhere. Hoping I don't have to use it.

I *might* invest in a 2nd key sometime, but at 1/6th - 1/8th the value of the car it hardly seems worth it. I won't be saying that when I'm stranded though! :lol:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
A second key has to come from a dealer.

I'm stuck with one key too. I'm thinking that the cheapest option is to buy a full lockset + all the keys + keycode ecu from a breakers. They're only fetching £50- 100 on ebay so it's fairly cheap too, I don't fancy buying them off ebay though.
This is a good alternative but rather than change the full lockset, have some key blades cut now that match your only key. You should be able to get 2 blades for under £30 max. Keep them safe and if you ever lose your only key you can put the blades in the key bodies, change the ecu and "Bob's your aunties live-in lover" as they say:) You can also use them as an emergency way to get into the car.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I can't believe you would go through all that to save £100. Thats crazy IMO.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I can't believe you would go through all that to save £100. Thats crazy IMO.
I thought I was saving £260 :confused:

I should have three keys so 2 X £180= £360 - £100 cost= £260, a nice saving for 2 hours work.

Plus (and this is the main reason) if one of the previous owners "finds" his key it won't fit my locks.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I thought I was saving £260 :confused:

I should have three keys so 2 X £180= £360 - £100 cost= £260, a nice saving for 2 hours work.

Plus (and this is the main reason) if one of the previous owners "finds" his key it won't fit my locks.
2 keys, not 3 :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem it seems the contact for the button has worn out as it still opens the tailgate.I was quoted £215.00 to replace it. I might try to take it apart and see if i can clean/repair it as i've nothing to lose!!If i have any luck i'll let you know.
Alfarosso

G

·
I have the same problem it seems the contact for the button has worn out as it still opens the tailgate.I was quoted £215.00 to replace it. I might try to take it apart and see if i can clean/repair it as i've nothing to lose!!If i have any luck i'll let you know.
Alfarosso

Chris repairs keys and has done work for me and many others on AO, top fella and very quick turnaround

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/members/chris.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts