Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a spare key and have it programmed to my Alfa GT.

Anyone had this done and can recommend a good place? I live SW London/Surrey.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
I've got a couple of the ones David C linked to left and the black ones in the picture I pretty much always have stock of. Bit different to the original standard key but a lot cheaper than Alfa.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a couple of the ones David C linked to left and the black ones in the picture I pretty much always have stock of. Bit different to the original standard key but a lot cheaper than Alfa.
Thanks for your help. Can you programme keys to the car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't need your cars "code card" either so no need to order anything from the dealer.
I already have a code card, and a spare key, but unfortunately the Alfa garage could not programme it. They said I'd need to get a new key and then get that programmed. We talked about it but I decided to shop around see if I could get a better deal.

Where are you based and how much do you charge for the new key/cutting and programming?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
If you already have a key I can program it for you that's not a problem. The dealers can only program keys supplied specifically for your car. Because of the way the system works.
But I prepare the keys myself so can use new or second hand keys from any GT or 147.
I'll send you a PM

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I don't need your cars "code card" either so no need to order anything from the dealer.
Eh? So you can post a key that will open and start an Alfa? Don't believe you.

I'll admit if one already has a working key MES (if one has the code card) can program any number of keys to operate the central locking, but starting it is another matter.

Pub

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you already have a key I can program it for you that's not a problem. The dealers can only program keys supplied specifically for your car. Because of the way the system works.
But I prepare the keys myself so can use new or second hand keys from any GT or 147.
I'll send you a PM
Thanks, haven't received any PM.

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
Eh? So you can post a key that will open and start an Alfa? Don't believe you.

I'll admit if one already has a working key MES (if one has the code card) can program any number of keys to operate the central locking, but starting it is another matter.

Pub
Cant do it without having the car available to program the key to it although I can do it with just the body computer. Unless its a car I have done before in which case I can make a working key ready to start the car without having to go near the car again.
The reason I don't need the code card is I read the memory from the body computer first to obtain the information to prepare the keys. The pin code is stored in the same place so get that at the same time.
If I cant do it there are a lot of people I need to send refunds to and let them know they have only been driving there cars around in there imaginations.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Ah, thought you were suggesting you provide a mail order service. So with a car, laptop and some fancy software you can program a new key to the car, nice! Is this a genuine spare or a clone of a worker, sort of service Timpsons offer?

Pub

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
Ah, thought you were suggesting you provide a mail order service. So with a car, laptop and some fancy software you can program a new key to the car, nice! Is this a genuine spare or a clone of a worker, sort of service Timpsons offer?

Pub
I do do them buy return post but need the body computer sent to me so I can program the keys in. No its not cloning I don't need there to be a working key its an extra key programmed in the same way it would be by an Alfa dealer just need to do a couple more steps first to make the key compatible for the car. Not a huge fan of cloning like Timpson do (not that they can clone the 147/GT Keys) as it can cause problems later on.
The remotes I keep are after market parts made in Europe and so far have performed better than the originals.

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
Well that was a new one on me programmed the spare Edward_V already had to his GT today. Looks like the spare he had was very possibly one of he cars original keys. But the immobiliser transponder in the key had failed totally so has now been replaced. I use these chips everyday and this is the first time iv'e ever seen one that's still intact and completely failed.

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
Would it be possible to buy a Brera/159 key, and make it work with my GT, like the style of the new keys.
The Brera/159 keys share nothing with the keys for the GT so they aren't compatible. The GT has a mechanical steering lock and mechanical ignition switch. On the 159 its all electronically controlled except for the starter motor which is on a start button.
If you were to do it you would need a custom circuit board for the remote. The key reader/slot from a 159 . Then you would have to sort the ignition switch and either remove the steering lock or adapt the electronic steering lock from a 159. Its not impossible but would be a big undertaking to get a 159 style key to work on a GT. The Mito/Giulietta style keys aren't a problem though.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I'll send you a PM
I bought a key from the dealer, about three years ago. They cut the blade but I never took it back for programming. I think it is about another £60. I don't have the PIN and I believe part of the £60 is for that.

Obviously (I don't think) you're local to Manchester. Do you have any other suggestions? I guess £60 (if it is still that price) is not so bad, but when I paid over £160 for the key in the first place..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts