Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a supplier or reconditioner of the hydraulic hood rams in a 2000 Spider? Mine have started leaking and Alfa no longer supply the parts (according to Mangoletsi).
Alfaworkshop, EBspares etc can't supply.
At the moment the nearside main hood ram is doing a sterling job of preventing rust in the n/s sill.
My guess is that there must be many Spiders of this vintage with this problem, so maybe we could group together and get a reconditioner interested.

·
Registered
286 Posts
the main rams are leaking a little bit on mine to , so would be intrested on getting replacements /repaired :thumbs:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news

My Spider hood shows the makers name as "Dura" who were an American company that made hoods for many car manufacturers and probably used the same hydraulic rams. Unfortunately they went bust (in 2007 I think), but I was browsing the web a couple of months ago and discovered that the convertible Saab hydraulics looked very similar to the Alfa.
There is a company called Simply Saab in Bristol who rebuild Saab hydraulic rams by machining a new threaded cap for the top of each unit and replacing the seals inside. They took a look at one of my Alfa rams and performed the same refurbishing on it, so I sent them three more and the result is that I now have a fully working and leak-free automatic hood mechanism on my Spider. Pictures are attached of before and after.
The contact there is Andy Caddick and the email address is [email protected].
I'd like to give a very big thank you to Alfa Romeo for discontinuing these spares so early and thereby saving me spending a lot of money with them
Before:
RAMpic2.jpg

After:
853.jpg .
Dura:
Dura1.JPG

·
Registered
286 Posts
thats a good bit of detective work rod.
if you dont mind me asking how much did they charge to refurbish each ram.
ive just spent a fair bit of cash on a new clutch and down pipes so if its loads of money will have to add it to the wish list :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts