Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 2.4 159 ti head gasket is cracked. Can anyone suggest the best place to source a replacement?

It’s a 59 plate auto, are the 2.4 heads the same throughout the model years? Any other cars that also have the same head (166 etc)

Alternatively if anyone wants to buy an auto 159 ti sport wagon without a head then make me an offer.

Thanks to anyone that can help with sourcing the head.

Tom

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
You are not being clear (well at least to me) if its a gasket or an actual head you need. You say the "head gasket is cracked".........but then say about the head an gaskets don't really crack so Im guessing you must mean a head!

Cracked head is common on this model....so replacements are easy to find. You can get reconned ones from about £225. A quick google came up with several dozen suppliers. They are not the same as the older models and the 200 and 210 BHP ones are slightly different too....so check you are ordering the correct one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apologies for the confusion.

To confirm it is the head that’s cracked so a replacement head is required. I have found lots of adverts on google but nothing that says they have stock. I’ll have a ring around tomorrow.

The total bill to get the car back on the road is looking to be close to £2000 now. Given the value of the car in full working order its a bitter pill to swallow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone.

Unfortunately I’m still no closer to getting a replacement head. I did get one but it wasn’t up to the job so I’ll be sending it back.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a refurbished head?

It would seem a shame to break the car as it’s a good spec but I can’t leave it at the garage forever.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hi everyone.

Unfortunately I’m still no closer to getting a replacement head. I did get one but it wasn’t up to the job so I’ll be sending it back.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a refurbished head?

It would seem a shame to break the car as it’s a good spec but I can’t leave it at the garage forever.

Thanks

Tom
Drop Matt an email through eBay. He had a runaway turbo issue that resulted in a seized bottom end? Engine is out and dismantled for review but it's beyond repair. No idea what state the head is in but it's worth asking?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Brera-Spider-159-Bonnet-Red/293177269683?hash=item4442ba1db3:g:Jc8AAOSw4R1dRx6F

Tell him Guy sent you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

So after searching for a replacement head (to no avail) i spoke to a company who said they would pressure test the head and repair if needed. The pressure check proved that the cracks weren't causing a leak so they cold welded the cracks and then skimmed the head. So after having the head refitted and spending the best part of 1600 quid the car was back together. After 10 miles i lost oil pressure and the car was spitting coolant out of the header tank overflow. Head has been removed by the garage (again) and returned to cylinder head recon company. They are saying that a new crack has appeared not linked to the repairs they did so they wont cover it under warranty. I'm chasing them for evidence of this as i think something they did during the repair process may have lead to the new crack.

I'm now staring down the barrel of spending more money getting it back together in the hope it holds together. Or just selling the car as it is. It's a reasonable spec - 2.4 TI SW with auto box, flappy paddles and carbon dash. I paid 4.5k for it 2 years ago and just spent another 1.6k on it. I'm concerned that even if i get the head back on now the bottom end may have been damaged due to the low oil pressure from a sump full of water.

Any advice on where to go next? Or someone who may be interested in buying the car? It's by no means perfect but with a bit of love it may be ok to get back on the road. I just dont have anymore love (or money) to give it.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
553 Posts
£1600 for a head repair - Wow! Did you just ask the garage to remove/fit the head or did they recommend the scheister repair company?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The garage didn’t have anything to do with the repair. I organised the repair and found someone with a good reputation (seemingly unjustified) The garage have been extremely good and removed the head (the second time) for free. His suggestion is to cut my losses but it’s a big loss to take as I doubt I’ll a breaker will offer much for it.

Bearing in mind it had new cam belt, water pump, gasket, thermostat, head bolts etc the bill from the garage was 1200. The head recon was 450 including valve guides and full repair. I degunked the inlet manifold and removed swirl flaps at the same time with the plan being to try and keep it for a a few more years. It already had dpf gutted and egr blanked so it should have been sorted for a while longer.

Unsure how to deal with the cylinder head company. Failure after 10 miles can’t be a coincidence but proving it will be more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car now on eBay. No time, money or inclination to fix it. Will make a nice car for someone after a weekends work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts