Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought Bella was sounding a bit different and after her service last week the garage confirmed that the exhaust was "blowing" and the mechanic recommended that I get a new exhaust from cat back.

Dilemma -

1. the money I had earmarked for Bella this year has gone into a new tumble dryer, Hoover and flooring for the kitchen so I have less money
2. I intend she will become my weekend car once I've finished all the Fettling so a stainless exhaust appeals to me
3. Loud exhausts don't appeal to me.

So for a 99 2.0 TS I am looking for an affordable stainless ( not shouty loud ) exhaust from the cat back - does such a combination exist?

What is a "straight through silencer"? Will that affect the emissions and potentially fail the Irish equivalent of the MOT?
E.g. Stainless Steel Sports Exhausts | Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts and accessories

I like the look of the original oval end to the exhaust.

On this page
http://www.ebspares.co.uk/alfagtv/exhaust.cfm

It looks like a stainless centre and back section will cost 430 and a standard exhaust pair will cost 240. Do I need any other bits as well as those two sections?

Baffled on many levels!

Thanks

Ned.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Whilst by no way being an expert on exhausts it sounds like you just need a mid section and tail/rear section. If you want something that isn't too loud I would get both a silenced mid and rear section.

I have no idea about your MOT procedures so can't comment on the emissions but a straight through exhaust means that the flow is unobstructed through the silencer as the silencer has no flow reversal. Basically this means that typically the gasses go into a series of chambers and depending on the shape of the chambers, the gasses can move around in helical or other patterns back/forwards through the silencer to increase pressure. However in a straight-through silencer the gasses do not pass back/forwards through these chambers but rather simply run 'straight through' which results in a lower pressure build-up and typically, at least from my understanding, means with a straight through you will get less back pressure (so less power) and they tend to be louder when compared with chamber silencers and will have slightly higher emissions (as the gasses are passing through less material).

At least that is my understanding from the research I have done. Could be totally wrong so would wait for someone else to chime in but that is my understanding on the straight-through question. So it would seem to be like you would want a chambered silencer and not a straight-through as you want better control of the noise.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Stainless, Quiet, Cheap, pick any two! :lol:

Your only hope is a local custom exhaust place (powerflow, etc) they should be able to make up a SS with enough silencing to keep you happy. Seems to be around £300-400 from figues banded around, obviously this will depend on local prices.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Stainless, Quiet, Cheap, pick any two! :lol:

Your only hope is a local custom exhaust place (powerflow, etc) they should be able to make up a SS with enough silencing to keep you happy. Seems to be around £300-400 from figues banded around, obviously this will depend on local prices.
I just had my complete system replaced with SS £360.

Or try 8shadesofwhite on e-bay (if you're on a budget). He breaks Alfas and has plenty of spares

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-GTV-Spider-Complete-exhaust-Stainless-steel-cat-back-sports-cat-2ltr-cars-/370849294989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5658572a8d

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I just had my complete system replaced with SS £360.

Or try 8shadesofwhite on e-bay (if you're on a budget). He breaks Alfas and has plenty of spares

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-GTV-Spider-Complete-exhaust-Stainless-steel-cat-back-sports-cat-2ltr-cars-/370849294989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5658572a8d
That`ll be loud! Probably louder than a cybox.

I`ve not seen this one on fleabay before:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Spider-T-Spark-2-0-3L-V6-GTV-Cat-back-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-System-/230770293610?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bafb3b6a

Looks decent enough, copies the stock TS sections, little silencer after the cat, mid and rear sections, has 4 silencers so is not going to be crazy loud like the ones with just 2. MIJ have a good reputation on here and elsewhere.

Drop them a Q and see how loud they reckon it will be.

And if you do get it, you have to post up a vid :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers all, :thumbs:

Thanks for the leads, I'm on hols at the end of next week so hopefully I will get a chance then to follow up on them.

Ned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts