Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got myself a K&N filter this week and fitted it on Saturday morning. It was quite quick operation on the GQV. Took about 15min. Just jacked the car up enough equal to the Box height removed the front portion of the engine undercover and had access to the box. Simple swop and go. All I needed was the car jack, 4mm Allen key for the undercover screws and 6mm spanner for the bolts to open the air box.

First impressions, literally no sound difference at all. Performance instantly noticeable! Now I must say that my paper filter removed was pretty dirty but I have had the car now for a year and it has gone through one service already and it has never gone like it does now. I noticed immediately a difference in lag when pulling at low revs. The car seems to spool much quicker and on the turbo boost gauge I know can now quite easily get one bar less max, even in second! Previously I would only get 2 bars short of max if I was really pushing it and timing gear changes well. I literally never saw the boost gauge go as high as it does now. The only time I ever saw that was when I was in 5th or 6th gear and it would not stay there for more than half a second.

As I said the paper filter was pretty dirty so I am not comparing it to a clean paper filter but wow that filter, in its condition was really holding this car back! Just wish it had improved the sound a bit but no luck. I doubt a GQV owner would be able to tell the difference in blow off sound. I was tempted to go with a high flow cone filter for sound but I think it would not give the same power as the standard box. The standard box does well with its “straw” inlet pipe to draw the “fresh” air and get the flow in order. A cone filter alone would stand in a zone that is pretty stagnant and I think one would tend to get more lag, especially at lower revs.

If anyone is considering getting a filter I know Masterparts has one more in stock, then it is a three month wait again. BMC I tried but everyone who supplies it is out of stock and doesn’t seem like they ever going to get stock again. K&N part no. is e-2986.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Good so now you will not attract unnecessary attention. If you take it for service don't let them change the filter. And remember to clean and oil it regularly, the filter holds the oil, the oil remove the dust. If you don't it is as good as no filter.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yeah first thing I did on my 4C was replace the OEM filter with K&N. Bought it of K&N's site. 3days after ordering it was delivered at my office. Works a treat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts