Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've seen replacement keys on eBay for MY GTV but they don't come coded. Does anyone have any contact details for a company that offer this service and what i need to supply. I've owned my GTV for 13 years and over that time have managed to misplace the spare and the brown key.

The key snapped in two in the drivers door lock last week and I had to get the car recovered home. Thanks Andy

·
Registered
515 Posts
The mechanical part:
If you have the code card any good locksmith should be able to cut a key from the mechanical code. If you don't have the code a good picture of the broken key blade will do.

The transponder part:
Either you just clone your existing key, or you dig out the key information from your immobilizer box and make keys from that. From that you can also get the emergency start code if you don't have the code card for your car.

"Cromwell" here on this forum is a car locksmith and have all the tools needed to help you with everything above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've misplaced the code card etc. The key end is still in the door. I've been told that that the reference number for the key is on the ignition barrel. How hard is it to retrieve the end of the key out of the door lock. Is it a strip down of the door to remove the lock. I'll send Cromwell a message. Ta Andy

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Hi. I've seen replacement keys on eBay for MY GTV but they don't come coded. Does anyone have any contact details for a company that offer this service and what i need to supply. I've owned my GTV for 13 years and over that time have managed to misplace the spare and the brown key.

The key snapped in two in the drivers door lock last week and I had to get the car recovered home. Thanks Andy
Give us a call:)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
If its a P1 i can supply three keys including master, yellow code box, ignition barrel, two door locks, boot lock, glove box lock, main ecu, ignition antenna and everything else that will let a dead p1 live again due to missing keys. I know that according to sod's law, if i sell i will need but what the heck!

PM me if you are interested. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. A big thanks to Alfa Tuner for his help. With the end of the key still stuck in the drivers door I took the boot lock barrel out as it was a lot easier to remove. I took it to a local lock smith who for £33 cut me a new key from the barrel and cloned the transponder. I'm now on the road again. I will be taking the GTV back on Monday for them to remove the broken end out of the drivers door. Had quotes of between £250 and £350 so this has been a real result :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Thanks for the advice. A big thanks to Alfa Tuner for his help. With the end of the key still stuck in the drivers door I took the boot lock barrel out as it was a lot easier to remove. I took it to a local lock smith who for £33 cut me a new key from the barrel and cloned the transponder. I'm now on the road again. I will be taking the GTV back on Monday for them to remove the broken end out of the drivers door. Had quotes of between £250 and £350 so this has been a real result :)
Do you have a link to who has done this please?

Prices I have seen to clone transponders has always been much higher!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Great news!

When you're back at the locksmith ask them to give you the mechanical keycode (something like W1234) and the transponder data, then you have a complete backup in case you loose your key.

EDIT: Transponder data looks something like: 80 21 2C 12 34 56 78 90 AB CD. Its hexadecimal so AB and CD are also numbers. 80 21 2C are common for all GTVs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I only received one key when I bought my GTV . Timpsons supplied 2 new transponder keys for about £30. Needless to say they both work perfectly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only received one key when I bought my GTV . Timpsons supplied 2 new transponder keys for about £30. Needless to say they both work perfectly.
When I went to Timpsons in Preston they said they couldn't clone the Transponder. I ended going to an independent lock smiths called "Preston Locks" who sorted it. The key designs not the best as it is Blue but I now have the code for the key so will order a couple of red ones on eBay and get Preston locks to clone the transponders :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesting with Timpsons.. When I first approached them in Harrogate the manager said they could not help but he would call somebody to check. Don't know who he spoke to but an hour later I had 2 new working transponder keys. Maybe it depends on the branch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got the feeling they couldn't be bothered or just didn't want to do it. I walked in at the point they were talking about staff going out on jobs and leaving the shop with no one to look after it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The transponders in these keys aren't of any complicated type. I have bought equipment on Aliexpress for about €40 that can do them. If your key guy has any equipment for cloning transponders he should be able to do these.

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
When I went to Timpsons in Preston they said they couldn't clone the Transponder. I ended going to an independent lock smiths called "Preston Locks" who sorted it. The key designs not the best as it is Blue but I now have the code for the key so will order a couple of red ones on eBay and get Preston locks to clone the transponders :)
I'm sure if you asked Preston locks they would order the red type in for you. Silca part number GT15RT0. Careful buying blanks from ebay if your going to then make sure you get either Silca or JMA ones. The rest on Ebay are Chinese ones nothing against the Chinese but all the ones that I have seen have very hard brittle key blades. Lots of places will refuse to cut them as they knacker the cutting blades on there key machines. They also have a habit of snapping of in the lock without any warning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts