Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just replaced my fan blower motor, but now the ICS says OFF on my 2004 Alfa Romeo 166. I looked at all the fuses and relays under the hood and inside the car, but there are no obvious signs of anything bad. Did I miss any connections? The heat worked before, but the fan didn't work. Now the ICS just says OFF and nothing works.. What do I do? Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I've checked all fuses, they're all good. I've swapped relays around, and tried another climate control ECU. Nothing has worked.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wonder if you disconnected the battery first? Could you have shorted something by accident putting back together? Do the heater buttons still illuminate when you have the sidelights turned on?
You normally get the message on the ICS that 'air conditioner is faulty' even if a flap or the motor is stuck, so if it's not doing that it kinda implies no input to the ECU maybe? What did the ICS say before which prompted you to change the motor? Does anything happen at all with ignition on, and AUTO is pressed? You were saying in the other thread if a 156 fan would fit? What did you end up fitting?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not disconnect the battery first, although I should have. I have checked all fuses and relays, and find nothing with obvious signs of a short. The "defrost" buttons will illuminate, but they do not work. The flap motor is connected fine, and I get no error. It just says OFF.

Before I replaced the motor, the ICS and Clima would work, but the fan did not. I could turn on AC and heat, but the car would have to be moving to feel the air. Now, after replacing the motor, I have no control of the Clima on the ICS, it just says OFF, no matter what button I press.

I replaced the fan motor with a used part from another 166.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any wires or grounds I'm missing? When I replaced the fan blower, there were 4 wires, 1 on top of the cabin filter, 1 to the fan blower, 1 to the flap motor, and 1 that was capped off. Are there any other wires or grounds that are supposed to connect? Do any of the brass mounting brackets act as ground?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have seen others say there are relays under the windshield, near the cabin air filter, but I don't see any. Does anyone have a picture of these relays? I have and Italian spec 166, and my relays/fuses are in the engine bay near the driver's side headlight, inside the car to the left of the steering wheel, and in the trunk in the back right.

My exterior temp displays -- also

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: I tried connecting the old fan, and the CLIMA on the ICS now is working! But the old fan still does not spin. Maybe the "new" fan I got was incompatible?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have seen others say there are relays under the windshield, near the cabin air filter, but I don't see any. Does anyone have a picture of these relays? I have and Italian spec 166, and my relays/fuses are in the trunk near the driver's side headlight, inside the car to the left of the steering wheel, and in the trunk in the back right.

My exterior temp displays -- also
Here is the fan relay:

http://prikachi.com/images/100/8997100l.jpg

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
UPDATE: I tried connecting the old fan, and the CLIMA on the ICS now is working! But the old fan still does not spin. Maybe the "new" fan I got was incompatible?
Auld habits Die Hard........So

What was the part no./Model No. of the fan you tried to Substitute(Courtesy ofThe Who)

I am Assuming it wisnae a direct replacement of existing fan or it would work OR It was completely knackered correct fan which was well and truly GUBBED and caused the confusion in the other systems.

Curious Pomeo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
UPDATE: Today I just tried a BRAND NEW fan. The ICS works, but the fan does not spin. That must mean a relay for the speed signal is bad somewhere, but I have checked all the relays and fuses I am aware of.

Where is the blower motor resistor?

I get 11.2V to the power, and 8.3V from the signal wire at the fan connector.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
I don't see that at all in my car. It is an Italian spec one is it different? I have a fuse box in the front of the engine bay, inside the car, and in the rear passenger side of the trunk. That's it.
The facelift fuses etc are all located differently.

Is there a blower motor resistor?
NO reapeat NONE of the 166s have the OLD tech of a RESISTOR.

It is ALL electronically controlled in the Motor and ECU.

A few 166s had under bonnet fires preceding the Zafira and Corsa ones

Pomeo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts