Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all

NOOB ALERT

So my Alfa 156 1.6 tspark has an unusual problem, the gearbox bellhousing is cracked right where the rear engine/gearbox mount attaches to it and I can't fix it. I am short on cash so I bought a bargain 2.0 gearbox from the scrapyard with the intention of swapping the bellhousing over.
Both gearboxes are compatible but I wanted the stock gear ratios for the 1.6, anyhow I have removed both bellhousings and in both gearboxes three bearings fell out, the trouble is that i have no idea where they came from! they are one tiny needle bearing and two larger ones with a notch taken out lengthways and rounded sides.
The only place I can think of that they could live would be sitting on the ends of the selector fork shafts? any ideas where they go?
I will try to add some pics in a bit.
Many thanks - Rik

·
Registered
698 Posts
"three left over bearings!"

Well, it could have been worse, you could have put the whole thing back together THEN found you had then left over!
Don't you just HATE IT when that happens? :biglaugh:

Baz

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
they're not bearings!

they're to lock the selector forks in the selected gears
I bet they're accessible from the outside. there's going to be springs aswell.

have a look on the outside of the gearbox casing where the selector forks sit.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Surprised you didn't just go for the full 2.0 box. Longer ratios and okay itll acclerate slower but I always felt like the ratios were too small on the 1.6 anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"three left over bearings!"

Well, it could have been worse, you could have put the whole thing back together THEN found you had then left over!
Don't you just HATE IT when that happens? :biglaugh:

Baz
Hah well instead of that I have just stuffed them back in the box impatiently and hoped for the best. Oops

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scoa4899818 said:
Surprised you didn't just go for nger ratios and okay itll acclerate slower but I always felt like the ratios were too small on the 1.6 anyway.
I thought about it because they are quite small but I worried It wouldn't be the same preppy and exciting car anymore. After all, it is only a 1.6.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I understand. Although having the second gear actually make it above 60 mph would make it more interesting. I reckon it wouldn't harm its acceleration too badly given the need to change gear less above any given speed.

Also motorway cruising would be far nicer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm good point, it would make it a tad more economical on the motorway aswell.. I'll have another think about it, trouble is that I have had the car for about 5 years and it's only been on the road for two of them! I need to get it working and MOT'D before my wedding in July so for now, as long as it goes, I am happy?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they're not bearings!

they're to lock the selector forks in the selected gears
I bet they're accessible from the outside. there's going to be springs aswell.

have a look on the outside of the gearbox casing where the selector forks sit.
Uh oh!, well I put them In the selector shaft holes with a little grease, I didn't find any springs in either of the gearboxes, is it possible that the gearbox oil pressure keeps them from falling out of the little holes? I hope so because I have put the box back together and it is in the car.?
so do you think I should take it out and apart again to look for the springs? The gears are all selecting if that makes a difference but I don't want those little non bearings to fall through the tiny holes into my gears.
There is a little access from outside of the gearbox through 3 core plugs which cover the bottom end of the selector shaft holes, (right where the strange bearing looking things are) Probably not going to be easy to extract them*from the outside though.
Any advice would be really appreciated as I cannot seem to find this information anywhere else.
Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bugger! They are Detent balls. No idea where the springs would have gone, probably disintegrated by now. Looks like I will have to take the box out and open it up again.. ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, turns out they are interlocking pins, they stop you from selecting two gears at the same time. I have wasted hours trying to get them in properly to no avail. Cuore_Sportivo_155;14899794 do you know how to get them in place?
Thank you.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I don't have any service manual for this type of box, never opened one either. But if they're detent balls they sit between shafts, being pushed by one shaft to block another. There should be indents in the shift forks where they go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply, I'm absolutely sure that they will fit in the indents, but it's a super tight fit so I am considering loosening a shaft or two from the back end to help get them in. I'll attack it again today after work and let ya'll know how it goes. Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts