Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just sold my subwoofer now I am going to need space in the boot.
Now I have an aftermarket headunit, and the sound is okay to so-so.

However, I have held a stock non-bose speaker in my hand, and I'm fairly convinced that even a cheap set of speakers will give a substantial improvement.

Now my question is:
Is hard hard to replace to stock front woofers and tweeters in a 147?
What are the limits in width and depth for the woofer/magnet?
And do most comoset tweeters fit in the location for the original tweeter? And is the tweeter even worth replacing or should I try just the woofers?

I use a Kenwood KDC-BT92SD as headunit and the car is a 2006 5 door JTD 16V.

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody knows if an aftermarket headunit will provide the power the Bose speakers need?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Easy to remove door cards and change the speakers. Only thing to be careful of is removing the window controller on the driver's side. There is a hidden screw in the door card below the window controller that is easy to miss. If you leave the screw in and force the controller out you will damage the controller and loose the ability to open the windows and boot.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Aftermarket replacements can/should be 6.5" 2-way 'components' (separate woofer + tweeter + crossover).

As with any 'system' of sorts, there will always be a weak link unless you cover all bases. Upgrading the front speakers is a good next-step for you. But ideally, also cover over the open service holes in the doors with self-adhesive sound deadener (eg: Dynamat Xtreme); this helps creates a 'sealed enclosure' for the woofers. With big leaks, you lose so much bass.

There is heaps of 'depth' in the doors, so virtually any speaker will fit. I doubt you'd be looking at anything with extreme depth that will foul the windows. Up to 70mm would be fine. Ideally, also replace the plastic factory speaker 'baffle' (holder) with something like marine ply or coated mdf wood, cut to shape to suit your new woofers. The factory screw holes are unlikely to line up, but if you do reuse the plastic factory baffles, ensure there's no gaps around the speaker.

Factory tweeter size is about 0.75" diameter. You'll probably need to modify the Alfa plastic trim for new ones by cutting away some plastic, and being creative with securing the new tweeter in position (ie: bracket and/or suitable bonding adhesive).

You ordinarily wouldn't upgrade only the woofers. 2-way speakers come as a 'set', so the tweeters are matched for power handling, crossover/frequency response, sensitivity, tone, etc. Factory tweeters + aftermarket woofer would be...yelch.

I wouldn't call the job 'hard', but it depends who's doing it, and their experience. As with anything, it needs to be done properly, to optimise the performance, or else it's a waste of time and money.

:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!
Still need to decide what to do really, but when I pump up the volume now I can literally hear the speakers shake in the doors. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts