Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i have started to get a droning noise from the rear axle and upon investigating looks like i need to replace the rear wheel bearing on the passenger side.

So i did a bit of digging on the Web and came across this YouTube video which makes it look so simple .

Now i have 2 questions

1. is it really this easy and if not what are any gottas i should prepare myself for ?.

2. would it be wise to replace both rear wheel bearings as i'am going to be replacing the disks and pads any way ?

thanks in advance and love been back in my Alfa again

brendan

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I did the rear wheel bearing a while ago on my GT and it was pretty straightforward. My mine concern was pulling the inner race off and got a pulled to be prepared for this, but didn’t need them as the race just came off by hand. You will need a torque wrench that will go high enough - I had to buy a new one from Halfords.
Good luck!

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,511 Posts
The bottom bolt is the main problem in doing this job.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Now that many of our cars are owned by people who need to keep costs down and do things themselves, it may be good to have a video like this as a sticky.

As Chris M stated, sometimes the bearing assembly just slides off. I had a 156 which the bearing was really hard to remove. I had to use a slide hammer and then an angle grinder, then a hammer and chisel to split the inner bearing race. The new bearing was clearly going to be similarly really tight (hence why the last bearings only lasted just over a year) so I gently dressed the stub axle with a flap disc on the angle grinder to the point it only needed gently tapped on with a hammer. That eliminated yet another premature failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts