Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a slow puncture on one of my Pirelli P Zero's, should I have it fixed or replace the whole tyre? This tyre has to drive between 200-230km/h's so I'd rather not have it fixed and then blow out as I am at 230km/h's, am I overly cautious?

Just seems if there is a puncture already and they stick a piece of rubber in there to seal it again, the whole tyre is already compromised, right?

V

·
0 Posts
Depends on the condition of the tyre, and the nature of the puncture.

If the tyre is in otherwise good nick with plenty of tread, and the puncture isn't near the sidewall, it can probably by easily fixed. As you probably know, the nail (for example) will be pulled out, then a rubber 'mushroom' plug is pulled firmly through the hole, and the excess on the outside nipped off. The air pressure, the friction of rubber to rubber as well as the centrifugal force of the spinning wheel will all work to keep the plug firmly in place. The tyre carcase is so thick and strong, and the hole so small, I don't see a problem.

The garage wouldn't attempt a fix unless it were safe.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thread depth is on the limit, just don't like the idea of the plug in a high speed tyre....you don't know our garages here in good 'ol Africa, they'll put anything on anything, wouldn't be surprised if they put a patch on it,lol.

But yeah, I hear you, should be ok but it will always be on my mind when I am driving above 200...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you find the cause? The tyre could be fine and you have a cracked alloy.
I'll take it off this weekend and check where is the leak, I thought at first it is a loose valve but no. Strange thing is, it can go days without a leak and then suddenly, one morning, almost flat.

·
Registered
351 Posts
There are places that patch properly wall to wall bands attached inside. Cost about 15 pound here and it's a solid job unlike those crappy plugs

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With your tread depth already low there is nothing to gain from saving the tyre. Replace with new.
Yeah, i'd rather replace but then I'd have to replace all 4 at the same time as they all have similar wear...

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
If you have four tyres all on the wear limit...... REPLACE THEM..... :rolleyes:

You were asking about a 3.8 conversion earlier..... if you have enough to even think about that, surely you can replace four wornout tyres... :banghead:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
indeed, I have an extra tree just for more power, always room for more power, but tyres are now unexpected and all 4 at once puts a dent in my plans...maybe I should have bought the fart-rocket...pffftbrrr pffft brrr

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
yes of course...let me visit the money tree in the back and pull some change...:) from one slow puncture to replacing all 4 tyres at 2k a pop....
You don't have money for tyres, but you want to do major engine work like a 3.8 conversion or a turbo?
I pity that poor car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You don't have money for tyres, but you want to do major engine work like a 3.8 conversion or a turbo?
I pity that poor car.
Do you have some sort of secret relationship with my car I don't know about?

Anyway, why does it matter how much money I have? Don't see how that is anyones business on here except mine and I was only asking if anyone had actually done the conversion and if they had any noticable hp gains from it.

·
Registered
36,839 Posts
If you're driving with an under inflated tyre the heat can cause a blowout as the air expands. Not worth the risk. Replace it .

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
... but tyres are now unexpected and all 4 at once puts a dent in my plans...
Come on.... the tyres didn't SUDDENLY reach their wear limit, so you must have known the need for four new tyres was approaching. I mean surely nobody drives a 250hp V6 without checking the tyres occasionally...!!

Reactions: Chris155 and cue2

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol, what does it matter to you how much money I have to spend on tyres or whatever or debate when exactly I noticed my tyres,lol, whats up with that? Can't you stick to the thread topic?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts