Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an alfa 166 and my amp is down. Can somebody tell me how to replace the amp? In the alfa grg ask me 2000€. It is possible to install a different amp?

·
Registered
397 Posts
lfmingo said:
I have an alfa 166 and my amp is down. Can somebody tell me how to replace the amp? In the alfa grg ask me 2000€. It is possible to install a different amp?
For that money you might assume they mean to dump the old ICS entirely and install a new one. The difficulty in installing a new amp will be finding a source of sound from the old unit; usually if there are no separate pre-outs you splice an adapter onto the spearer cables after the OEM amp to obtain a signal you can send to an aftermarket amp in the boot. Obviously you can't do this now.

Have you thought about buying an iPod or mp3 head unit and fitting some remote controls to the steering wheel. You could then have the new head unit and an amp in the boot and wire back to the OEM or new speakers in the doors, while adding a sub (10 inch will do) in the boot.

I have not seen any explanation yet as to how to easily upgrade the 166 amplification without just starting again with a new system, and for you can do this very well for less than half of 2000€.

Best wishes,

Stevo

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
lfmingo said:

2000 euro to fix an amp....omfg, you could rip out all the old sound system and install a completely new 1, and a better 1 for that much money :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Depends, the whole sound system is integrated into the ics, and if the car has the upgraded sound system, then the boot mounted amplifier is £850 from Alfa in the UK.

Mine is knackered and I've been looking for a replacement, so far no joy.

Just as well its a V6 so there is a decent soundtrack ;)

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts