Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key to my wife's 147 has been lost, we ordered a new key for around £80 and an engineer came to our house to code the new key for us.

He failed and they have now towed the car to the dealership. They are now saying that it will cost £800 to have the new key coded.

Does anyone on the forumn have experience of loosing a key and the costs associated?

The car is a 1.6 lusso 147 MY 2002

They have only spoken to my wife so far and she was a bit vague, but apparently something is "broken" which means the key cannot be coded to the car.

All sounds a bit fishy to me , surely a fáult in the ECU would have shown iteslf with other problems before we lost the key.

Any advice would be welcome, at £800 I'd rather tow the car to the nearest Alfa office and burn it in their car park.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
On my S reg 156 2.5 AR quoted me I think 35/45, but I didn't go ahead with this because they had really peeed me off trying to get the key (price went up by a few quid each time on 4 seperate enquiries!)

I got an autolocksmith to try (about £60) but the code I had was incorrect so I bought a scrap car of ebay for £10.50, pulled the engine ecu, alarm, immobilser and central locking ecu's with the chip and remote control from the key, transplanted these and they worked, much better than the £1200 AR wanted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a mate with a merc sprinter van that has just had the same problem and has cost him £1300 to have resolved. if the computery bit that identifies the key is broken then it is that part which needs replacing and thats where the big costs lie. :)

H

·
0 Posts
Dealer told me not to buy an Alfa with out the spare keys as a new set with the electronics can cost over £1000.

you didn't say if you had the spares my guess is not other wise you would be using them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My 147 came with a key missing and it cost about £150 for a new key and having it re-coded.

It does sound like you have something else broken as well, hence the extra cost

·
Registered
21 Posts
just bought a new key for my 156 jts 2002.
Key £100
Programming £40
from sunwin, derby.
couldnt program it to open or close windows tho. says its not available on my model (turismo)

·
Registered
159 Posts
i only had one key for my 156 and then ran it over, i bought a complete new lock and key set from Alfa for £160 fitted it myself and then had the keys coded at alfa for £60, they got the codes from Alfa Turin, with no probs, cant see why it would be £800, get someone else to check it out.

H

·
0 Posts
Had my key (156) replaced by alfa dealer in chelmsford, about £120 in all,

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
ALWAYS get a second opinion

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
This is maybe a little off the topic, I was just told by my dealer that if you are programming new key for your alfa, all keys you want to use need to be present as if not, you cant program them again.

My story: I received 1 normal key and 1 backup key with my alfa. I lost the normal key. I was using backup till I was waiting for the replacement to come. New key arrived; it was programmed to be accepted by my ECU, everything fine. Than I found the lost original key but it didn’t work of course, as it was deleted from the ECU. I thought it was a good idea to have another one spare, so I went back to the dealer, to program it back. He said it is impossible, as the key wasn’t present by the programming before and it is banned forever.

I just want to warn everybody who from some reason want more keys for their alfas, if you program new one, all the others that you want to you use in the future have to be present.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too have had to buy a second key for my 2001 156 - which costed c.£70 for the key and a code card (with a new code on it), and c.£70 for the programming. AS stated above both keys had to be present. I daresay if you did have third key, you could get another code card (c.£10) and then pay to have all three keys reprogrammed - but maybe the ECU will only allow a certain number of reprogrammings, although I don't see why they should restrict that.

Anyway, getting back to the original question - Ascertain just what they think they are going to have to replace for that £800, and then try another quote, but it will probably have to be a main dealer, but with the list of parts you should be able to play one off the other and reduce the price by quite abit. But it does sound like they are quoting for a new ECU - hence the big cost. Bit of a bu99er. Good luck

James

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just bought a new key this week which was £60 for the key,£9 for the code card and £33 to code it in. A total of £115 including vat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I managed to get two new keys and a re code for sub £150 from Sunwin Derby and sub £100 for a recode and new ecu thingy due to a code error about 12 months before that and Sunwin have been worse than abismal at everything else (being kind).

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
print this forum off and shove it in their face! Alfa dealers in london seem to want to help people a lot more - just a thought maybe they could offer better service! Alfa in lincoln are crap! Hope they actually do go down

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
a17esh said:
print this forum off and shove it in their face! Alfa dealers in london seem to want to help people a lot more - just a thought maybe they could offer better service! Alfa in lincoln are crap! Hope they actually do go down
AR Lombarda have been helpful to me, AR Wimbledon I will never see again out of principle. I enquired on four times about price of a new key and it went up by about £3-4 each time. Not major difference but still not right:tut:

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
suggest you specifically ask for an itemised estimate, detailing every last service that they are charging for

800 quid sounds like abuse -push to quarter it if you can

1 - 20 of 35 Posts