Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We generally havent used the dash top compartment much on our 2010 Giuletta, but today whilst sticking a pair of sunglasses in there my Mrs managed to break the catch and now the lid doesn't stay closed.

It looks like the bit broken off was on the lid part and was a very thin poor quality piece of plastic. Is here an easy/cheap fix or will I need a new lid?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
You'll need to buy the whole compartment I'm afraid, got mine from shop4parts about 3 years ago. It was about £65 iirc.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Broke mine 2 nights ago, glad to see this topic.
I shall be looking into self fixing as I'm not spending £60 on it, I've got a couple of ideas.
:)

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want to spend £60 fixing ours either, especially as we hardly use it.

It is also a souce of rattles in the colder weather. :(

Will have a look and see if I can get creative.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't want to spend £60 fixing ours either, especially as we hardly use it.

It is also a souce of rattles in the colder weather. :(

Will have a look and see if I can get creative.
I had the same issue with mine, fortunately the catch didn't shatter, we just used some of the girlfriends nail glue to stick the catch back on, its been 2 months now and it's still holding. saves a bit of money.
:party:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
When mine went it was the pin that broke. A successful repair involved drilling a small pilot hole for a small screw to go into. I selected a screw that had a head that went into the catch part and would release. Being a screw it could be adjusted to get the correct action, in a little at a time. Easier with the compartment taken out of the car, that's straightforward.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
If I recall correctly, and it is a while ago, when mine went it was just a matter of relocating the spring back onto it's peg. As others have said it is easier to see what needs oing once it is out of the car. Under the rubber mat are two? Torx screws remove them and it just lifts out.

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the pin has broken off and is stuck in the bottom part of the catch. Will have a better look at the weekend when I get time. Until then blu tack appears to be holding...

·
Registered
364 Posts
When mine went it was the pin that broke. A successful repair involved drilling a small pilot hole for a small screw to go into. I selected a screw that had a head that went into the catch part and would release. Being a screw it could be adjusted to get the correct action, in a little at a time. Easier with the compartment taken out of the car, that's straightforward.
Thats along the lines of what I'm thinking of doing.
:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine did the same and also didn't really want to spend the extra cash so just removed the whole unit which is just a couple of screws, cut off the catch bit inside the lid which had broke to make it flush then removed the spring so it wouldn't be open all the time, just placed a go-pro sticky back clamp to use as a handle to open it. I thought maybe doing this would cause the lid to bounce up and down when driving but doesn't at all :party:

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks great, will see if I can have a look later at the lid then I will order one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread..

I've 3d printed the piece for the lid in solid material rather than the hollow original. It glues on with superglue (though not sure how long the glue will hold, so also have an alternative with a couple of m2 screw holes for some 6mm self tappers).

Anyone need one? Postage cost only as they take minutes to print and minute amounts of filament, just let me know if you want the glued, screwed or both versions!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts