Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Alfa Romeo 166
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've recently bought a 2L V6 turbo 166 and I need some help rebuilding it. Everything except the engine, needs work.
My budget is very limited so I will be updating this probably every couple of weeks, as parts arrive and I install them.

I'll be ordering parts off AUTODOC since money is an issue, starting with some Bosch disc brakes and pads (front&rear). TRW were the second-best option but discs+pads were more expensive than the Bosch ones.

I've read here 166 Suspension modification that the " T i " springs are the best way to go but I don't know what those are or where to get them. Could someone please explain so that I can order a set of springs?

Also, should I go for POWERFLEX bushes front&back? Main goal would be to get the car to handle better while retaining ride-height or even better, increasing it a little if that's an option.
The car will have a 90L LPG cylinder fitted in the trunk, with the spare removed. Don't know how that will affect handling

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I have a 105l lpg tank in the back of my WK Jeep where the spare used to be, and I can certainly feel the weight when it’s full, even in that old truck, so at the least, I think I’d want to think about some stiffer springs at the back given you are reviewing suspension. It’s equivalent to having a fat bloke sat in the boot, and I recall how different my 166 used to feel on a full tank of petrol too.

·
Registered
2000 Alfa Romeo 166
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, @ChrisS . I've done a little more digging and I'm going assume that the " T i " springs are the ones for the 2006 3.2L V6 166.
The issue is, I don't know which size to choose for the rear: 398 or 436mm? How will longer springs affect the car?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Almost certainly you will need to adjust the rear camber, which as we know, is a mare of a job! That said, raising ride height should reduce teh camber rather than increasing it, so you may well get away without the agro. A bit more chassis rake is OK, but you might want to check the front caster once you settle on a ride height - not that you can adjust that easily.

·
Registered
2000 Alfa Romeo 166
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, @ChrisS . The car's suspension is shot at the moment, so I'll have to worry about the above after I fix it. Maybe in a year or so :)
I'm gonna go for the springs mentioned here: 166 3.0V6 - OEM rear springs?
which are part no. 60658365 and 60687619 for front and rear, in case someone needs it in the future

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Did you check these?
They don't let you complete the order without checking they are correct for your car

Reactions: UzY3L

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Super, Gtv 6 Phase 1 (916), Alfa Mito QV
132 Posts
But the Eibachs will lower the ride heigth. So I think the above mentined 3.2 litre FL springs will do the job - at least with my own black beauty...

·
Registered
2000 Alfa Romeo 166
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, @Mufasa . I'll keep that in mind for future part orders. For the moment, I'm hoping the springs I got will fit. If not, I have 100days to return them and get my money back.
As for height, I went for the longest / tallest I could find: 436mm Sachs ones on the back, taking into account the LPG cylinder that will be mounted in the boot of the car + the car's own gas tank.
@maaatin : Thanks for the thread and the help, it came in handy :)

Btw, here's some progress videos. Not much, just some engine maintenance and exhaust lifter adjustments. Intake lifters are next + an exhaust manifold seal (between the exhaust manifold itself and the exhaust pipe). Bad news: the car is leaking exhaust straight up the firewall and of course, right into the air filter = into the cabin. Good news: sound burbuly and gurguly, as you can see in the "after" video.

Also: stupid question but does anyone know why does the 2L turbo use so much fuel? Would an ECU remap help? Would a variable geometry turbo help also? I keep saying that the LPG system will be added later but at over 50E/40GBP/week in fuel (only city driving), this is getting expensive :)

before:

and

after:

·
Registered
2000 Alfa Romeo 166
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys,

Hope you are well and staying safe.

Small update:

• replaced front springs, discs and pads;
  • repaired power-steering rack;
  • repaired power-steering pump;
  • removed all elements of old LPG system except for the LPG CPU - car will not start without it connected;

Not sure you can see from the pics but the parts were unfortunately "original", from the factory in 1998.
I have no idea how you can wear out the pads that way. Discs had over 3mm of uneven wear which caused issues for the ABS system but again, not sure it can be seen in the pics.

Wanted to see why the power-windows weren't working: the cranes for the window mechanisms were held in place by pieces of wood because when the original owner took them apart to apply his...tasteful red scheme, he couldn't reassemble them. Oddly enough, it's the 3rd car I've bought over the years with this issue and the 2nd 166 with it.

To be done:

• rear springs and discs;
  • tyres;
  • removing the old xenon aftermarket kit - low beams won't work with it installed. There's a cable running from the headlights into the cabin, hooked up to a 20A fuse and you hotwire it when you need low beams. Yes, this absolute legend preferred to blind everyone on the road instead of just replacing his bulbs or adjusting his headlights...
  • lambda sensor(s)? Does the 166 have pre and post cat O2 sensors or just the pre-cat? Couldn't find anything definitive online, not even on 7zap. I could use some help here.
The list goes on but doing only a little at a time seems to work.

That's all for now. If anyone knows if the 166 2L V6 turbo has one or two O2 sensors, please let me know. I don't have access to the car at the moment to check, for the next few weeks at least

Cheers!

·
Registered
2000 Alfa Romeo 166
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello,

Can someone please help with the below? I have an MOT coming up next month. Brakes and tires are sorted, next up are emissions. O2/Lambda sensor and MAF have been ordered.

1. Can't find the PCV Valve location or part number - Tried looking here but no luck - FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM ALFA-ROMEO 166 BZ-DS (1998-2007)
2. I need to replace the muffler and CAT, will these fit?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts