Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 156 2.0 TS from 2000, Selespeed.

I recently had a left front sensor O.C. illuminating the ABS light on the dash. Diagnosed with MES.

Basically the whote connector on the strut fell apart in my hands, little plugs were also seperated from the wires.

I repaired (I think) the O.C. with a new sensor, hard wired the wires by soldering.

I have tried to reset the fault/light with MES, can clear the fault but the light does not go out.

Question is - can I assume the fault is still there or does the ECU just need to reset the fault itself by me driving lets say a few km's or days?

Thing is it IS solidly repaired and should be OK. I just want to avoid me tearing it all apart and trying again if there is that the car just needs to run for the ABS ECU to reset itself and realise there is no more fault.

Cheers guys,

Joe

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I would think clearing fault in MES should remove the light, can you go on live data and confirm the repaired sensor is giving a speed signal the same as other wheels?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think clearing fault in MES should remove the light, can you go on live data and confirm the repaired sensor is giving a speed signal the same as other wheels?
Thats a good point/idea - I'll try this tomorrow and revert. The light has for some reason extinguished just now at the last start but turned on again after 500 meters after leaving the driveway - guess it's still O.C...... bummer

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Sounds like the original wiring the new one was spliced into is defective. A complete new sensor should sort it. I've seen the wiring on Bosch sensors go bad quite readily. The high resistance triggers an O.C fault.

Cambiare are a decent alternative brand to Bosch for sensors (from my experience).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the original wiring the new one was spliced into is defective. A complete new sensor should sort it. I've seen the wiring on Bosch sensors go bad quite readily. The high resistance triggers an O.C fault.

Cambiare are a decent alternative brand to Bosch for sensors (from my experience).
Ok so you reckon the part from the connector on the suspension strut to the ABS ECU would be faulty? I've actually been looking for that part of the sensor but could for example not find it on for example alfaworkshop.uk

Probably best indeed if I also change that part of the sensor wire. How would it go into the ABS ECU? Do I need to replace the bit behind the firewall and then ad it to the multi plug on the ABS ECU?

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Do you have a multimeter to measure resistance of the sensor? Be absolutely sure you measure sensor resistance and not blow the ECU. Early cars had male end from ECU and later cars changed it to a female connector.

I've not known the connector itself to go bad or the car's wiring harness to go bad. The corroded wires were in a fairly recent Bosch ABS sensor wire.

I'll try to measure my JTS on Sunday for comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts