Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody rent their television now? When I was a kid I remember my friends parents used to rent their TV. Those must have been the days before easy credit deals. It must have been about 1980 and my friend next door had a Betamax... his dad didn't think VHS would take off :LOL: Anyone under 40 wont have a clue what I'm talking about. 馃槀

Premium Member
Years ago TV'S were really expensive if I'm not mistaken, with the deals these days I don't even know if anyone offers rental anymore,

Registered
was there a company called TV Rentals? And Rumbelows, of course :)

Super Moderator
Radio Rentals I think you're thinking of.

I guess todays version of renting is those shocking Lighthouse stores where you can pay 10 times the value of your electricals over 2 years.

Registered
That鈥檚 the one, Bazza. I couldn鈥檛 even get an alliteration-based name right! :)

Registered
Very good, sir! :)

Radio Repayments?

Super Moderator
Gogglebox gougers?

Registered
Martin Dawes was the quite big in the North West in the 80's from memory.We have had cheap credit for so long now that maybe we have forgotten the 'good old days' of 10-15% base rates which made what now seem like exhorbitant rental deals a thing :)

Registered
We used to until about 15 years ago, from Martin Dawes. As pointed out above, they were really expensive then. If you rented, you got to upgrade every couple of years. I remember paying something like 拢400 for the first flat telly we bought. We bought a much bigger smart telly for not less than that this year.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
We used to think a 28'' TV was big! now you get 72'' smart TVs that hang on the wall... heck they are the wall! What you forget is with an 'old fashioned' CRT TVs is the back stuck out about 2 or 3 feet if the screen was 28'' :LOL: That's why they were stuck in a corner.

I bought my first VCR from Rumbelows, an ex-rental jobby. Lasted about 5 years as I remember, the heads just gave up so it wouldn't play anymore. Not worth repairing either.

Super Moderator
I still keep my TV in the corner. Allows for comfortable viewing from all sides of the room. Am I in the minority these days?

Super Moderator
Very true. If you ignore that I in fact sit in another corner of the room. But figuratively speaking...

Super Moderator
D.E.R. ((Domestic Electric Rentals) were the ones to go to in S London when I was a kid in the 1960s.

In Felixstowe you can still rent from a store called Hughes.

On a more depressing note Brighthouse will rent whilst you buy - provided you eventually want to pay way over the odds.

Registered
My Dad used to work for Radio Rentals. They rented out not only TVs but also, er, radios. (The clue is in the name). He had a 1955 Vauxhall Velox with enough space for a radio on the back seat. Not only were radios and TVs big and expensive, but unreliable too, hence the appeal of renting.

I found out he had the reputation of being the best valve engineer in Wolverhampton. Unfortunately there was no royal award for that, and he never did learn the newfangled transistors. He worked with a fag in the corner of his mouth, and judged to perfection the moment when to knock the ash off the end, just before it fell on the householder's carpet.

After we moved to Cambridge (where I was educated, as you can tell), a university professor was mystified by the screen image. 'What is that?' he asked. 'That's the Test Card,' replied Dad. 'I didn't see you put that in!' exclaimed the brainy one.

Registered
My dad always rented TVs and video recorders from Martin Dawes.

Biggest joy was when we got a new TV with a........ Remote control!! Oh yes we were the family that didn't need to get off our bums to change between the 4 channels!!

Super Moderator
Slightly off topic but in the 1960s we lived in S. London (Norbury) which was a couple of miles away from the Crystal Palace TV transmitters.

My mother worked as receptionist for the local doctor and rented the flat above his house. He (doctor) had friends at the BBC so in 1965 (I think) he turned up one night with a massive TV set and a couple of people to set it up and we watched test transmissions. All very dull and I should have been more impressed!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts