Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am going to Germany in August for a week. Will be down around the alps, on autobahns, etc.. So thinking it might be nice to rent an Alfa for the trip :)

I've done some digging and managed to find 2 sites (http://cars.atlaschoice.com & Car Hire with discount rates from Carhire 3000 )that'll do either a GT or Spider - although they do say "or similar" which worries me slightly...

While these would work well, was thinking I'd prefer to try out a MiTO and maybe try and convince wifey that she would like one ;) But can't find anywhere renting them out.

Anybody have any experience of renting Alfas abroad? If so, who through and where?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would get the hire company to confirm that you will be getting an Alfa. I work for Europcar / National and it is difficult for hire companies to guarantee the make and model of a car as there are so many factors involved for example the car's hire period could be extended with a current hirer, the car could be damaged or they may not actually have the car on fleet at that location. etc etc.
If it will be an important part of the holiday you dont really want to be left with the or similar option.

N

·
0 Posts
Also joining the loyalty programme is
a good idea too.

Hertz gives some great rates on theirs
and the others probably do too.

If language isn't a problem calling the local
office you intend to hire from instead of
central reservations can also help to secure
the exact car you'd like.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am also trying and rent an Alfa but in Italy, Venice area.

I have found rental companies that list Alfa cars but when you drill down I always find the 'or similar vehicle' clause.

Anyone know of any rental companies in Italy that will guarantee an Alfa is available?

Cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's always 'or similar' and similar always turns out to be a Skoda or Peugeot or something. Then you have the choice of standing there complaining only to be told they don't have any other cars, or just taking the car and living with it!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I hired a 159 last summer in Madrid for a couple of weeks (I was living there at the time) and it was this that finally convinced to me to go for a 1.9 JTDM.

I made lots of phone calls to Europcar to try and get them to confirm that I would, indeed, get a 159 but they totally refused to do it. It's understandable, I suppose.

Imagine my relief and delight when the guy at the counter gets an Alfa key out of the lucky envelope! We had great fun with the car and the aircon even survived the heat of the summer in southern Spain. No problems with the car apart from the fact that some idiot tried, unsuccessfully, to prise the Alfa badge off the boot! Made a mess of it though. Good luck with finding one.

Joe

PS I also rented an Alfa GT a few years ago in Barcelona from Europcar but that was a special "rent an Alfa GT" deal. In theory it was guaranteed but that didn't stop them trying to fob me off with a nasty Peugeot even though "my" GT was sitting out front waiting for me. May have had something to do with the fact that the Europcar desk was totally besieged on a wet Friday night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts