Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rented 5 DVDs for a quid each from a well known rental shop. Every one of them is scratched to pieces and have difficulty playing. How on earth do they get into this state? Do people rent them then spend the entire weekend kicking them around their lounge or maybe throwing them down their stairs? Maybe they use them as drinks coasters or something? Surely it doesn't take much effort to look after something that doesn't belong to you?

S

·
0 Posts
It's similar with pre-owned Xbox 360 games, half of these I usually end up taking back as they are too scratched to play. The 360 did have an issue with earlier models in that the misaligned DVD mechanism could scratch the disc.

Surely you would think that they would check games upon trading in and DVDs upon return?

V

·
0 Posts
mrs v6 quite often borrows dvds off the girls at work, i wont let her lend our (my) dvd's out though for this reason, you either dont get it back or it comes back scratched to schit :mad: and you'd think people would take even more care with friends belongings

D

·
0 Posts
I have rented quite a few DVD's and Blu Rays off of Blockbuster and to be fair I've not yet had an issue with the 50+ discs I've rented over the last year or so. So am surprised to hear that most of the ones you get our scratched to Hell.

Then again the quid section houses much much older DVD's whereas I tend only to bother getting latest releases, and obviously older DVD's are going to have had alot more use.

The price of Blu Rays is blimmin' extortionate mind. In HMV they had 'Taken' on DVD for £7, it was £25 on Blu Ray, :eek: Couldn't believe it, what a rip off! Hence why I rent.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These DVDs came from the cheap section in Blockbuster, so I guess I was asking for trouble :lol: (I was in there specifically to rent 'Children of Men' which was discussed on here earlier in the week).

HMV prices are always silly on Blu-ray. Try looking at Amazon online for more sensible pricing. These days I wait until a movie is a few months old and aim to pay either £3 for the DVD or £10 for the Blu-ray.

K

·
0 Posts
My kids have destroyed a few DVDs by not putting them away. If they destroy them they have to replace them or do without so they learn from it. I wouldn't use someone else's property for the exercise though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts