Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open the link, turn up the sound and then hang on!!!!
I thought this may appeal to the lunatic fringe here.

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris early in the morning . The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine , through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights and driving the wrong way on real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground. If you haven't seen this before it is a classic, if you have seen it I apologize, but it's still a classic. Turn on your sound and enjoy..............

YouTube - Rendezvous in paris

·
Registered
782 Posts
I got the DVD a couple of years ago and when I first showed it to my kids they assumed it was computer generated – when I explained it was real and that it was all done without warning / permission they were gob-smacked!

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Lelouche in actual fact used a Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9, because the hard suspension vibration of the Ferrari would have ruined the film. He later drove the exact same route in the Ferrari and dubbed the 275GTB's V12 engine noise over the film. I personally think this all looks quicker than it is....the camera is right on the road to give the impression of going really fast...but if you look at the parked cars he is not overtaking them that quickly. The Champs Elysse is 1910 meters long, the driver took 64 seconds, meaning a speed of 110 kmh (70mph), so not that fast, though still faster than allowed! The most dangerous part was exiting the Louvre over the rue de Rivoli to the Avenue de l'Opera...Lelouche knew this so had placed his assistent Chouraqui at the crossing with a walkie-talkie to inform him whether a vehical was crossing...no warning was heard, so he just sped through blindly...Later Chouraqui came up to him and excused himself that the communications were not actually working! Still, I like Claude Lelouch, and it is a smart short film, being 1976, no possibility of computor generated graphics. He does break a few red lights, but who doesn't in Paris! Rumours were, it was Jacques Lafitte, maybe even Jacky Ickx driving, but in actual fact it was Lelouche himself. Indeed the man who runs to meet the girl at the end (exiting from the left, ie. driver's side), has the same build as Lelouche! Gunilla Karlzon was the blonde at the end, Lelouche's girlfriend. The band "Snow Patrol" used this film for their music video "Open your eyes" in 2007...with of course Lelouche's permission!
Anyone who hasn't driven the merc 450 SEL 6.9 might not believe this large car could do this, but believe me it is a 2 and a half ton rocket. The first car chase in Nice in "Ronin" also used a 6.9.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amazing...I cannot understand how he drove through every one of those red lights without encountering a single car crossing the intersection. Mind you, that guy in the white Mini stopped in the intersection about 3/4 of the way through the film must have defecated a permastone storefront when he saw that car flash buy !
Not to mention the pigeons...

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
this film is now a debased legend. Doesn't make it any less enthralling to watch, mind :)

huck me, that's one quick Merc!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts