Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Haven't a clue why the site has decided to show duplicate images.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I’ve only seen one Alpine on the road since they came out, but in that electric blue colour it stood out like nothing else. The newer Caymans are quite nice looking but the Alpine is a bit special. Probably helps that I think the original A110 was a great looking car too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Yes, really. The 981-onwards Caymans are great looking cars, the first generation weren't IMHO.
And virtually everything you read about it has it as the class leader.

View attachment 936496

View attachment 936497

View attachment 936496 View attachment 936497 The Boxster was also vastly improved with the facelift as well.
Maybe if the A110 had lasted long enough to get a facelift who knows what it could have become.
Again, I’m not denying they are great cars, and views on styling are just views - each to their own on that one, no rights or wrongs :)

personally I find new Porsches - and the whole ‘Porsche’ thing - a bit sterile. The Alpine pushes my buttons much more. At the end of the day, it’s hardly going to be a wheel barrow to drive. Alpine or Porsche - in their own ways - are probably terrific cars. I’m just drawn much more to the Alpine :)

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I kind of agree on the Porsches but the 911 is impressively mature in it’s details and surfaces. The interior is strangely unsporty. The thing that gets me is how it’s known all models of Porsches cost pretty much the same to build but get so much more expensive, because they can. That’s before you spec them up to look right . A colleague got his second Boxster in a “rare and special” silver finish ,worth thousands extra, but it was a pre-registered demo. There’s no way the paint cost any more but it boosted the value. As for the cost of getting non-embarrassing alloys...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
What I like about the Alpine over just about any similar car is that the gear changes appear to be tailored to real world motoring. I.E in a Porsche, if you want a spirited drive, with engine noise as you change up, you are at licence losing speeds in 2nd or 3rd gear. The Alpine is apparently much lower geared so you can enjoy getting to 70 and be in fourth or fifth gear when you get there. You know, actually having fun through the gears :)

I personally also like the fact that it’s not a Porsche or a Ferrari, which may sound odd but there you go.

Anyway this thread has inspired me to look at selling my manual Porsche 993 and buying an Alpine. It may take a while in the current market but that is the aim! It will have to be in Alpine Blue and be a Premiere edition too and there are only 129 RHD ones in the UK

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
What I like about the Alpine over just about any similar car is that the gear changes appear to be tailored to real world motoring. I.E in a Porsche, if you want a spirited drive, with engine noise as you change up, you are at licence losing speeds in 2nd or 3rd gear. The Alpine is apparently much lower geared so you can enjoy getting to 70 and be in fourth or fifth gear when you get there. You know, actually having fun through the gears :)

I personally also like the fact that it’s not a Porsche or a Ferrari, which may sound odd but there you go.

Anyway this thread has inspired me to look at selling my manual Porsche 993 and buying an Alpine. It may take a while in the current market but that is the aim! It will have to be in Alpine Blue and be a Premiere edition too and there are only 129 RHD ones in the UK
Just to completely back track on all I’ve said, I would love a 993. That’s a very nice car indeed. Of all the 911s, I like the very early ones with the slim bumpers, slim front indicators/side lights, no spoilers and Fuch alloys, and the 993. Oh yes 😎

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Just to completely back track on all I’ve said, I would love a 993. That’s a very nice car indeed. Of all the 911s, I like the very early ones with the slim bumpers, slim front indicators/side lights, no spoilers and Fuch alloys, and the 993. Oh yes 😎
Well here’s your chance to buy one ( :) ) although it is a Targa which bizarrely seems less desirable than the coupe to most buyers. Never really understood that, as long as the car is dry and the roof works surely a panoramic opening roof is exactly what you’d want for a high days and holidays car, which most 993s are these days!!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Well here’s your chance to buy one ( :) ) although it is a Targa which bizarrely seems less desirable than the coupe to most buyers. Never really understood that, as long as the car is dry and the roof works surely a panoramic opening roof is exactly what you’d want for a high days and holidays car, which most 993s are these days!!
Ah. Not that I’m in a position to buy - not yet, anyway - but Targas and ‘verts (of all cars) are lost on me. But I get what you’re saying about the targa being ideal for good weather blasts. I’m sure you’ll find a buyer for it. For many, 993 + targa = winning combo 😎

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The story with the Alpine was that it was reasonably successful but interest dropped after launch as they were using too-much marketing on-line and they didn’t have enough showrooms.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts