Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Only an issue if you like ugly and French cars....I don't like either. Build a quality, pretty car and sell it at sensible price and it will sell...Renault fell down at all three of those....IMO of course! There is...(or was!)....was an Alpine showroom next to the hotel I stay at when working at the NEC so I popped in for a look a while back. I would not have accepted that interior panel quality and fit in a 1985 Ford Fiesta.
...the old Alpine was crap too...but at least it looked different/interesting.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I think so...marginally....but only ever sat in one 4c.....but I find most French cars poorly built inside....they don't tend to rust anymore though...their only redeeming feature! Alpine handling is supposed to be good from what I've read.....but it takes more than that to be a great car....and to sell. They only sold 255 throughout the whole of Europe in the first quarter 2020..yes I know...virus....but they only sold under 1200 in the same period last year....which was the first full year of sales when you would expect high demand.
As said it's got stiff competition for the money and just does not look special enough for the price. First one I saw I honestly thought was a kit car!

·
Registered
559 Posts
A great shame if that happens. Really like the A110, more nimble and more interesting than a Cayman, and infinitely better than the 4C. If I had 50k to spend on a new car that would be exactly where it went!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Top marks for the interior from Autocar Alpine A110 interior | Autocar and it’s not even a VW. And I reckon it’s rare for aluminium to rust..https://www.lightmetalage.com/news/industry-news/automotive/alpine-announces-a110-models-aluminum-chassis/

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
For me the problem with the Alpine was that it was being pitched against Porkers and was £50k+ I don't think it warrants the price tag for a 1.8 turbo.
The new Cayman and Boxsters are starting with 4 pot turbo engines also.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I am not a huge fan of French cars, but i would have one of those Alpines. I quite like the look of them.

I think Richard Hammond has one? I am fairly sure I spotted him out my way in it a few months back.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I love both the original Alpine and the current one. Probably worth investing in one if they are stopping production. 100% guaranteed to go up in value long term. I’d have one over a 4C everyday and twice on a Sunday

I’d rather listen to Gordon Murray’s opinion than the French car haters ;)

Edit: I am now looking at Alpines to buy if they do shut Dieppe down! Thanks for that!!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
For me the problem with the Alpine was that it was being pitched against Porkers and was £50k+ I don't think it warrants the price tag for a 1.8 turbo.
Why is that a problem, it’s arguably a better drivers car!

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
I thought it looked okay from the side, but ugly front and rear.
Certainly 'Alpine' sounds infinitely better than 'Renault', but if I was going to spend £50k on a car this wouldn't even get on the shortlist.
It is however one of the few cars out there that are 'different', so still sad to see it go so soon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I’ve had a longing for one, nearly in the same way I have for a 4C. They looked interesting in the current sea of bland cars. I think they look better in the flesh than in the pictures. A shame if it does go, doubtless to be replaced by yet another SUV/Crossover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don’t think it’s a case of replacing the Alpine. The Dieppe plant sounds like it’s closed.https://group.renault.com/en/our-company/locations/dieppe-plant-2/

“ACTIVITY: Installation/transformation series vehicles, assembly and sale of competition vehicles, sale of spare parts for racing cars.
  • WORKFORCE: 405 employees at December 31, 2018
  • PRODUCTION LINES: 1 line “

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like 405 people are out of work.
And despite what the people , who’s ideas are stuck in the 70’s opinions , say , the car was highly regarded.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
This is a shame. I think any sub brand gunning to be a premium brand is on thin ice at the best of times (think DS), but Alpine at least had a lovely car there; a car you bought because you wanted the right car, rather than having the right brand.

Is there no way that it can be rebadged a Renault, absorbed into Renault and run as a less of a loss leader than as an Alpine. Will be a crying shame to see this little car go.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I'm sorry but good drivers car or not....that's not a pretty car....and i like a good looking car....not one that looks like the offspring of a Ferrari F355 a Hyundai Coupe RD2 and frog eye Sprite ...and then its melted a bit.....
.....I know, beauty is in the eye etc.....but I just don't like it.....each to their own. Rear view is acceptable...just about!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Looks are subjective.

That aside, it’s a cracking and earnest car, without the badge pomposity of other cars.

is a Boxster or a Cayman a good looking car? Really? Guess it depends on your barometer of judgement, but to my eyes those cars are not better looking than the Alpine.

I think a Porsche - while a great car - is for someone who wants a great car, but doesn’t actually know what a great car is. While the Alpine is for someone who knows what a great car is, but doesn’t want a Porsche.

Porsche brand is for consumers.

Alpine car is for connoisseurs.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
is a Boxster or a Cayman a good looking car? Really? Guess it depends on your barometer of judgement, but to my eyes those cars are not better looking than the Alpine.
Yes, really. The 981-onwards Caymans are great looking cars, the first generation weren't IMHO.
And virtually everything you read about it has it as the class leader.

1590219430737.png
1590219493832.png
The Boxster was also vastly improved with the facelift as well.
Maybe if the A110 had lasted long enough to get a facelift who knows what it could have become.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts