Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend is hoping to pass her driving test soon.

She wants to get a Renault Clio, because that's the car her instructor has and she likes it / is used to it.

My feelings about renault's aside...

The trouble is that she's got a budget of about £1000 and for that money it's almost all 1.2's.
I can't possibly let her buy a 1.2 clio. They're so goddamn slow.
She says she can't afford to repair the inevitable faults with an Alfa 147 (learning from my experiences, lol)
She needs something that's going to be reliable, and cheap to repair.

We're both fans of the torque and economy you get with Diesels too.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
As a new driver with no NCD can she afford to insure anything more gutsy than the 1.2 Clio? If she uses that for a year then with a years NCD the insurance will be more affordable on a faster car and she can have saved some more towards the purchase cost from the mpg saving

·
Registered
39,133 Posts
Ford Fiesta
Vauxhall corsa
VW Polo
Seat Arosa
Skoda Fabia.

All ok if you get a good one.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Suzuki Swift. Can be had with small diesel or peppy 1.5 or 1.6 (sport) engines and won't be that expensive on insurance. When I passed, my insurance went up compared to the policy that I had when I was learning. Reckon it would be better to do named driver for your girlfriend that still allows her to build ncd.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,352 Posts
You'll struggle to find a Swift for sub £1k. My daughter paid £1100 for a Fiesta last month and I really like it. It's not at all quick but the engine is sweet and free revving and it's quite well equipped. Parts are cheap too.

Bubble shape Micras are cheap and only ever need a wave of the welding torch near the sill. Ugly as.... but very well made.

Reactions: Santhenar

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.

I don't think she'd go near a Micra or a Swift. I like the swift, but she's not a fan of the styling.

The fabia is actually a good looking car I reckon.

You are right about insurance of course. It's just such a shame that someone would be confined to slow cars for a year.
There's a 1.5 diesel clio which seems a little better. Only 11 seconds to 60 :p

Maybe she'll have to get a snail and I'll just let her have a go in the GT from time to time... gulp

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I just looked at Skoda Fabias.

The slowest cars ever made???

Also - Check out this weirdness:

Fabia 1.2 -

Engine power 64 bhp
Acceleration (0-60mph) 15.9 seconds
Top speed 99 mph

Fabia 1.9 -

Engine power 64 bhp
Acceleration (0-60mph) 18.6 seconds

Are these stats wrong, or is the 1.9 Fabia substantially slower than the 1.2???
it gets better economy, sure.
But 18.6 seconds to 60? You may as well be walking!

Meanwhile the 1.4 looks like this:

Engine power 100 bhp
Acceleration (0-60mph) 11.6 seconds
Top speed 115 mp

What is going on??

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,083 Posts
i had a Clio - albeit a fast one, a 172 - and it was probably the most reliable car I've had. It was also the most uncomfortable, which is the only thing that would prevent me from suggesting that generation Clio.

Reactions: symon

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

Fabia 1.2 -

Engine power64 bhp
Acceleration (0-60mph)15.9 seconds
Top speed99 mph

Fabia 1.9 -

Engine power64 bhp
Acceleration (0-60mph)18.6 seconds

Engine power100 bhp
Acceleration (0-60mph)11.6 seconds
Top speed115 mp

What is going on??

The 1.9 SDI isn’t turbocharged and has (probably) no intercooler. So the no replacement for displacement rule doesn’t apply here.

·
Registered
39,133 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I loved my 172 cup, even though it was hard to live with day to day due to lack of refinement, plus it would constaly egg you into driving faster...

It also kept going wrong.

How about a Citroen C2 VTS?

There is one local to me for £1000 with moderate mileage and in good condition.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=8
The stats on that Citroen are not bad at all.

I've never driven a Citroen, but I hear they're pretty okay nowadays. (Compared to the cheap french crapboxes they used to be.)

Lol "No replacement for displacement"

How about "There's no inefficiency like inefficiency." :p

·
Registered
39,133 Posts
The stats on that Citroen are not bad at all.

I've never driven a Citroen, but I hear they're pretty okay nowadays. (Compared to the cheap french crapboxes they used to be.)

Lol "No replacement for displacement"

How about "There's no inefficiency like inefficiency." :p
Well people rave about the Fiat Panda 100HP

The C2 VTS is a similar car. Light, with a decent amount of power.

Only it is faster, cheaper than the Panda and IMO much better looking in a quirky sort of way.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts

Fabia 1.2 -

Engine power 64 bhp
Acceleration (0-60mph) 15.9 seconds
Top speed 99 mph

Fabia 1.9 -

Engine power 64 bhp
Acceleration (0-60mph) 18.6 seconds

Engine power 100 bhp
Acceleration (0-60mph) 11.6 seconds
Top speed 115 mp

What is going on??
I'm not certain of your or her age. To start with performance really should not be an issue for a new driver. Getting on the road, economically (fuel, insurance and tax) should be a priority. I think Corsas and Fiestas are about the cheapest insurance. Most everything else about them is cheaper.
Personally I'd go Fiesta. Engine? Whatever is the cheapest.

·
Registered
39,133 Posts
We are looking at first cars for my brother (He is 39 and just passed his test :paranoid:)

We got a few quotes and the cheapest we got was for a Vauxhall meriva 1.7 diesel.

The Skoda Fabia 1.4 petrol was nearly 3 times as expensive.

Fieseta 1.2's and Corsa 1.2's came up with similar premiums to 1.6 Ford Focuses.

So I think it may be beneficial to avoid cars which younger drivers tend to drive as the premiums gets loaded disproportionately.

·
Registered
16,352 Posts
Elder child is 21 and a Fiesta was about as cheap as anything to insure. Even OAP chariots like the Jazz were significantly more. I suspect if you're older when you pass your test you don't get fleeced quite as much.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Renault Clio alternative for sub-£1k?

Fiesta, Fiesta, or Fiesta.

Cheap to run, low insurance, smart, reliable, great to drive, and lots of low mileage ones around.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
You want something reliable and cheap to run?
Yaris, Micra, Swift. Petrol engine.

·
Registered
39,133 Posts
Renault Clio alternative for sub-£1k?

Fiesta, Fiesta, or Fiesta.

Cheap to run, low insurance, smart, reliable, great to drive, and lots of low mileage ones around.
The trouble with cars like this is that they are often used for very short runs, like a once weekly shop or trip to the garden centre.

My grandfather bought a new Suzuki Alto in 2004, and when he died in 2012 it has 8000 miles on the clock.

But it drove like it has done 150,000 miles. It had never really been run up to temperature or taken on a long run. The brakes were also poor due to them not being used for long periods, the exhaust rusted from the inside etc.

Same with my other Grandfathers Audi 100. It was left to him by a friend when it was 2 years old back in 1990. When my other Grandfather died it was 24 years old and had done 50,000 miles but just about everything on it was shagged for want of a better expression.

I think its better to buy a car which has actually been used a bit.

But the Fiesta is a good choice as long as you avoid the ones with the Pushrod engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts