Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered a 2000 Clio 2.0 sport (also known as the RS)for what I consider a fairly keen price. (He needs the dosh fairly sharpish and I know him well).I have a sort of feeling that these will appreciate quite well in the future and maybe something for my son to take over along with our car collection some day.
I've done some homework, but has anybody here actually driven or owned one? A bit of a shot in the dark, but I'd value your opinions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been offered a 2000 Clio 2.0 sport (also known as the RS)for what I consider a fairly keen price. (He needs the dosh fairly sharpish and I know him well).I have a sort of feeling that these will appreciate quite well in the future and maybe something for my son to take over along with our car collection some day.
I've done some homework, but has anybody here actually driven or owned one? A bit of a shot in the dark, but I'd value your opinions.
Yes - short answer is they are outstanding little cars, unbelievably good fun to drive for the money and capable of embarrassing much more exotic machinery. I agree with you that a good one could very well end up being a keeper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bloody quick and handle real good but they are a harsh ride so dont expect to keep your fillings in :D

·
Registered
16,343 Posts
I've never driven one but would love to. I reckon that tidy unmodified hot hatches will have their moment sooner rather than later. If the price is keen and you look after it, I don't see how you can go wrong.

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
A work colleague's lad has had a couple. Nice, chuckable but plastiky, harsh ride and pokey in the back. I think they are firmly in modding and lowering territory though so a no from me

·
Registered
39,125 Posts
They are great little cars, my dad had a 2004 registered 182, and it was quick, handled well and was pretty reliable.

I don't like the front on the early ones though, and being a 2000 model year it is at the crossover point.

One thing to watch on them is the cambelts, it is an engine out job to change, and it needs doing every 4 years or 48k IIRC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm under no illusion that I'll need to do stuff on it, but I just wanted to secure the car and help his financial situation. It's been stood six months but starts and drives ok.

·
Registered
16,343 Posts
Nice one. I always liked these. One of the last proper old fashioned hot hatches before they went all Max Power.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,080 Posts
i bought one new in 2002 and owned it for five years. Think i sold it at 57k.

Good points:
quick; well, quick every where, power everywhere
lovely, grippy cornering
strong brakes
engine sounds great when worked hard, bit droney otherwise
discrete looks
excellent headlights
lots of kit
reliable (yes, reliable)
fantastic fuel economy

downers:
not durable (cheap fittings, trim fixtures would break)
steering dim-witted, cumbersome around town
noisy and tiring on a long m-way run
worst part - if you're 6ft or taller, the driving position - which is just terrible - makes anything more than a 20 minute journey a misery.

Would i buy another? Gosh yes! :) they are electrifying little things and their vim and hunger for revs is infectious. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts