Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a Remus backbox off ebay. it was cheap, though delivery was expensive because it came from the UK to Australia. overall, it was a good price, but not cheap enough to 'return' if there's an issue.

unfortunately, the single picture in the ad did not highlight what i think are 'dents' due to damage. as if squashed or dropped. it is otherwise brand new, never fitted or used, and was sold by a retailer clearing old stock.

i have subsequently questioned the Seller, and the reply was:

"The "dents" are intentional from the manufacturer designed to make sure it fits around parts of the body. When you have fitted it you will see we are correct."

WTF? so my question to you guys - who own or have fitted one - is this correct? i've never seen such a thing, nor really imagine it is 'intentional'?! but hey, if you can reassure me, no probs!

here are pics.
*dent #1 (middle of 'can'): http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/20047742/324717614.jpg
*dent #2 (beginning of 'can' near entry pipe): http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/20047742/324717694.jpg

thanks for looking, and thanks for any feedback.

(btw: i haven't even bought a 155 yet, so this was a premature purchase in anticipation!)

:)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I have seen other boxes with similar dents to ensure fit before so it's entirely feasible, are there any images on the remus websites?

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
62 Posts
i put in my 155 a new one not a remus but we had to make a bent at that side in order to fit in so ....... i presume that you wont have a problem

my assumption is that it had been tried on a 155 that's why the bent but the customer got another one

as no factory will make any bent for specific cars

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw that one on the bay, looks damaged to me mate :(
yeah, i didn't know. but if it is some dents, then hopefully the internal baffles are not damaged. so if it's purely cosmetic, it doesn't bother me one iota.

i'm hoping someone with a Remus can confirm for me. failing that, i will contact Remus.

i don't want to leave ebay feedback until i know. it may also be possible to claim insurance if the seller is not helpful.

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
i recently bought a Remus backbox off ebay. it was cheap, though delivery was expensive because it came from the UK to Australia. overall, it was a good price, but not cheap enough to 'return' if there's an issue.

unfortunately, the single picture in the ad did not highlight what i think are 'dents' due to damage. as if squashed or dropped. it is otherwise brand new, never fitted or used, and was sold by a retailer clearing old stock.

i have subsequently questioned the Seller, and the reply was:

"The "dents" are intentional from the manufacturer designed to make sure it fits around parts of the body. When you have fitted it you will see we are correct."

WTF? so my question to you guys - who own or have fitted one - is this correct? i've never seen such a thing, nor really imagine it is 'intentional'?! but hey, if you can reassure me, no probs!

here are pics.
*dent #1 (middle of 'can'): http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/20047742/324717614.jpg
*dent #2 (beginning of 'can' near entry pipe): http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/20047742/324717694.jpg

thanks for looking, and thanks for any feedback.

(btw: i haven't even bought a 155 yet, so this was a premature purchase in anticipation!)

Got the same box on my 155, with the same dents.... not a chance in hell it'll fit without dents

hope that clears it... think mine had stickers on it saying "dented for mounting purposes"

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
excellent. thank you for the confirmation and reassurance. happy now.

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok. so what did you do to replace the hooks? can they be bent into a better position, or do new ones need attaching?

the owner's manual suggests some of the centre pipe requires cutting shorter to allow the Remus to connect. true?

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks again for the info.

i don't have welding skills or access to the equipment, and nearest friend with such skills/gear is a couple hours away without a hoist.

the car i should be buying already has an aftermarket 'exhaust system' fitted, but i do not know the details, and have not seen the car cos it is interstate. the photos simply show a non-standard exhaust tip.

my plan will be to go to a local exhaust workshop and arrange a highflow cat converter and fitment of the Remus.

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
won't be too loud? i guess that's subjective. but is that the benefit (louder, rawer sound), or is it to free up the flow for more power?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I got my Ragga today :D and when I checked it had a dent in it, I was wondering the same as you ..
However, when I fitted this afternoon the dent was there for a reason - without it the silencer would have been rubbing on the heat shield at the back, so I guessed it was there purposely.

Car sounds great, a bit deeper than original, but still has a good rasp to it.

All I need to do now is replace the middle section - I noticed that the pipe where it entered the middle silencer has started to split - probably form all the movement of the split backbox pipe.
I am yet to decide whether to replace with no silencer s/s pipe, or one that has a single silencer on it, I don't want it TOO loud. :D :D

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
won't be too loud? i guess that's subjective. but is that the benefit (louder, rawer sound), or is it to free up the flow for more power?

to free up more power, but you'll have to do the fueling thing i dezcribed earlier, or you'll be running out of injector capacity...

Not too loud at all, can't really hear the exhaust over the cone filter...

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cool. thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Aye! My Remus is the twin-barrelled jobbie and the dent is there on that too.. it makes it fit round the fuel tank. Mine fitted perfectly without any hacking, pushing, grunting or grinding.

Use a new rubber (or Poly') mount on the back though.. yours will be dry and knacked.. a new one will be slippery and elastic.. so much easier to fit the new pipe (add Fairy liquid if you need more lubrication).

Ralf S.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts