Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guy, now the weathers getting better i have started back on my spider, if i dont have it running by summer its got to go (the mrs orders:rolleyes:) i couldnt line up the engine and the gearbox in the car i just couldnt get it to go so i have removed the engine and im now trying to remove the gearbox from the driveshaft.

i have removed all nut and bolts etc and pushed the gearbox forward anti clockwise and the gearbox is now resting on the floor. although it hasnt come away from the driveshaft like i expected. so for now i have just jacked the gearbox up so its not pulling on the driveshaft.

looking at the manuel is says use a special tool, what tool? i removed the the gaitor and there were six alan key nuts i undid but it looks like a cup shaped thing is stopping me from removing the gearbox (if that make sense)

View attachment 132657

not a pic of my gear box but this is the bit im trying to remove to disconnect the gearbox from the driveshaft

any ideas?

thanks Jon

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm sure it's only attached by the 6 allen key bolts, should just be a case of take them out and pull??

As for the tool i'm sure I used a lump hammer :lol:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol! thanks Jake, i have undone the six allen key bolts and theres like a cup on the end i cant seem to get out so i can seperate the gearbox from the drivesgaft, i am going to give it a go with the lump hammer :lol: and see what happens. then to build it back up again :rolleyes::):cool:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I think the cup is fixed to the gearbox and doesn't move, don't quote me on that though.. or blame me :lol:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The driveshaft should just pull out once all the allen bolts are undone. The cup you are referring to (if I'm thinking of the right bit) is just the cover for the end of the CV joint so it comes out with the drive shaft.

You need to take the bolts out of the hub on the wheel side to give it freedom to pull out

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not happening with the hammer :lol: i cant pull it out on the inner side of the gearbox either. i think im going to undo the six allen key bolts on the driverside aswell and then remove the gearbox with the driveshaft,

then with everything out of the car,
join the gearbox up to the engine, join the driveshaft to engine and hopefully drop it in as one......if it fits :rolleyes:

so will the engine with sump plus gearbox and the driveshaft go back in as one lump?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I'm a bit confused by what you're trying to do - I'm sure it makes logical sense really, but I always just remove the left driveshaft from the gearbox and then the gearbox can come off the engine, leaving the right driveshaft in place against the back of the engine block. This is assuming you've removed other things like the starter motor and the tin plate underneath by the sump - is the question actually why won't the gearbox come off the engine?

The left driveshaft flange can simply be pried out of the gearbox using a crowbar or similar - no need to undo the six Allen bolts - in fact I don't understand why FIAT/Alfa use those, they could just have the stub axle machined as part of the inner CV joint (as most manufacturers do). Much quicker, I'm sure you'll agree, though the Allen bolts will still have to be undone later if you need to replace the rubber boot.

Sometimes before I refit the gearbox, I like to move the right driveshaft out of the way (undo three bolts in bracket behind engine block, pulleys-end). This shouldn't really be necessary, but when lifting the gearbox into place, I find it difficult to line up both the input shaft (in the clutch) and the right driveshaft without damaging the seal for the right driveshaft.

Re-reading your first post I think it sounds like you had the gearbox off, but were having difficulties getting the gearbox to go back on - perhaps try slackening and re-aligning the clutch?

-Alex

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Remove the lower bolt (Of 2) on the Suspension strut upright, this will give enough swing to pull the drive shaft out. It does just pop out! I only did this same job last month, as for special tool get a block of wood on your trolley jack and thats all you need.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
woohoo! the engine is in! result!!! thanks for all your great advises chaps!

i didnt explain very well, i took the knackard engine out, head then the bottom end, seperated at the driveshaft and gearbox. then i thought i could just drop the new engine in...... could i get it to line up, head bottom end and sump.....................no chance i tried for hours i just couldnt get the spline inline in the engine, just beyond me. (Aug last year)

so yesterday i tried again to aline up the engine a gearbox but it just didnt happen. so i spent the rest of the day removing the engine i fitted... well half fitted lol!. then removed the gearbox (bloody gearbox rods lol) and struggled to seperate from driveshaft, even when i hit it with the hammer lol!

so started fresh this morning and got the gearbox seperated from the driveshaft (took the whole driveshaft out aswell) then seperated it. so had me lunch looking at a spider with a big empty space where the engine should be. with the new engine out of the car, i alined the gearbox very easy with all that room to play. so dropped the lump in (head/bottom and sump with gearbox) and fitted to engine mounts. and thats me done for today......im knackard!!lol!.....it looks so easy on the rebuild threads (mitch & biffa:tut:) :lol:

:cool:so now the plan is to add the driveshaft, fit all me bits and bobs back on to the engine. Then fit the cambelt and......................it will probably go bang!!! lol!

i know i have probably not done it in the correct ordered, i have just dont it the only way i could do it. i was really worried about getting the engine in the car and im well happy its finally back were it belongs as i was just starting to lose motivation, now im excited!! ding ding ding round three tomorrow! :inlove:

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Well done for trying to keep her alive, keep us informed of progress - I can imagine that moment she starts up will be beautiful!

Hopefully that keeps the Monkey Mrs off your back for a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts