Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GTV is up for sale at the moment due to a change of job meaning a longer and more frequent commute. However, the phone hasn't exactly been ringing off the hook so far and, if it doesn't sell, it will have to stop being a garage queen and start working for a living. That is likely to mean an 40 mile commute (one way) with a further 7 mile cycle after that. The reverse going home. At least 3 days a week. I don't really fancy lashing a bike rack to the back of an immaculate, resprayed GTV with a spoiler - in my experience of other cars with boot mounted bike racks you inevitably get some pedal rub or other accidental damage at some point - but I do have a Dahon folding bike (a bit like a Brompton, but doesn't fold as small) ) that I could use. Sadly the GTV boot is so useless even that won't fit through the boot aperture, but I I have had an idea - stop me if this seems mental....

I was wondering about removing the front passenger seat and putting the folded bike on the passenger side floor. Seems feasible if I protect the tan carpet with something from any dirt or oil.

I gather that it's just four bolts to unbolt the seat runners from the floor, but what about the airbag light? Will that come on (and disable the whole airbag system) if I remove the front passenger seat and drive the car like that? Would turning the passenger airbag off avoid the problem? If not, I've read elsewhere that putting in a resistor may be an option, but I'm out of my element with soldering or anything like that. Is there a plug and play workaround where I can just plug something in to the yellow and pink airbag connector to stop the airbag light triggering in the absence of the seat? If not, can someone explain to a novice what needs to be done?

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
10,773 Posts
I used to get my mountain bike in my old GTV fairly easily, well if I took the front wheel and saddle off and bunged those in the boot.
I fully reclined the passenger seat so it was more or less flat, and the bike went in diagonally between the passenger side of the dashboard and the rear seat behind the driver's chair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I could maybe put it on the reclined seat. It's just that I'm quite OCD about my cars and would be nervous about marks and indentations from bits of bike pressing into the seat. Tan leather is not ideal for squeezing in oily dirty bikes! I dare say I could cover the seat with something thick to protect it.

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
10,773 Posts
I've even had the MTB in my 939 Spider, but that's more of a squeeze (roof up). In fact I've stopped doing it now because it was taken just a little too long to be worth the faff.
Yes, both have/had the odd scuff, but that's doesn't concern me. I've never been one to wash cars religiously every week or even every month - twice a year will do, if it really needs it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Experimented with the seat reclined today and I think it will work with the seatbelt around the 20" folded bike to keep it steady. Ordered a seat cover, thick seat protector and bike bag to keep things clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts