Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have a lovely 159 2.4 and in the last few weeks it the battery has been struggling to start the engine. Frankly, Its been cold and I've used the car for quite a few short journeys so I know the causes. I've had to bump start it a couple of times with a spare car battery I have.

I'd like to give the battery a full slow charge but there is no way I can extend a lead to the car park. I'd like to ask whether I can remove the battery from the 159 for 12 hours or so in order to fully recharge it at home and plug it back in. I know I can swap batteries, but can I leave the car so long without one? Will this reset the alarm, prevent the car from locking, etc?

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Buy a CTEC suitable for you battery. It can be plumbed in via the supplied discreet flying leads.

I'd also advocate opening the cells up, dropping in a couple of bat aid tablets & topping up with distilled water.

Despite them being sealed "for life" or classed as being "maintenance free", in my experience they always need it & as a result, your battery will last for years & years:)

·
Registered
30,074 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump....

To rephrase my question, can I remove the battery for a number of hours (say overnight) and replug it straight in? Will everything still work (alarm-wise, etc...)

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
Every few months,when it had been idle for a long time,my original Exide battery would need a recharge. Despite showing a green light it would drop below 12V;so I'd disconnect it completely.The only thing I had to reset was the clock/calendar.The trip goes to zero as well.
Your problem is locking the car if it's not in a garage.When manually locking the car with the metal key,as you do on an overnight ferry to disarm the alarm system,you hear an electrical clunk.Without a battery,I can't see how you could lock your car,unless you manually lock it first and leave the bonnet on the catch after battery removal.It's not something I'd like to try!
In your situation I would bite the bullet and buy a Bosch/Varta Silver Battery(5 year guarantee) and use the original as a back up.Mine cost £86.34 from EuroCar Spares.I believe you should wait three minutes on reconnecting before inserting the key in the dash to allow the A/C flaps,etc. to reposition themselves.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone,

So I managed to borrow a spare battery to replace it with (and be able to lock it) and plugged the original one to trickle charge it.

That said, I am surprised that the battery fitted is pretty underspecced. It's a 59Ah 590CCA. It's even smaller than the tray it was sitting on. I read somewhere that the battery for the 2.4d should be 90Ah. No wonder it was struggling.

My very rough measurement suggests the length of the tray is around 300mm. All the battery websites give 270mm batteries, and these don't go over 80Ah. What's the biggest size anyone managed to fit in the bonnet?

Thanks,

Emir

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Fit the battery that is specified in the manual. A bigger one would only be needed if you are putting extra load on it such as lights or split charging to a caravan etc.
Taking the battery off the car to charge will not cause problems. Why would it? It's like expecting your computer to clear it's hard drive when you unplug it.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fit the battery that is specified in the manual. A bigger one would only be needed if you are putting extra load on it such as lights or split charging to a caravan etc.
The (owner's) manual is not specific enough. It only specifies what battery is needed depending on the standby intake (from 60Ah to 90Ah), however the manual covers all the 159 engines. I am guessing the 2.4d is the one that requires the biggest battery, and someone on this forum said that the Workshop Manual recommends 90Ah.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My original Exide was 90Ah.It was huge and heavy and a real nail ripping job to remove,it was such a tight fit.I've had the much shorter Bosch S5 for a year now and apart from having to modify the insulation jacket it has been fine.I suspect the 90Ah battery was specified for the diesel engines really but my 2.2 petrol doesn't actually require it.Easier on the production line to fit the highest spec battery to all models, I guess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.I suspect the 90Ah battery was specified for the diesel engines really but my 2.2 petrol doesn't actually require it
I have the 2.4 diesel that's why I am looking for a 90Ah battery. I can't find any so far. The tray as measured by me seems to be 310x175. Height not sure but the websites seem to point to 190.

The problem is, I can't find a 90Ah battey within these dimensions. Are my dimensions wrong? Does anyone knows of any 90Ah battery that definitely fits? Am I paranoid and a 90Ah is overkill for a 2.4?

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
You are correct, it does list a 90Ah battery, but it also only lists 440CCA (which is low by current standards).

A Bosch S5008 is 77Ah with 780CCA
278mm long / 175mm wide / 190mm high.

£64.70+VAT & Delivery.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
The on line suppliers all seem to offer a 680CCA battery for the 2.4 159 . A quick trawl of other marques with similar sized diesel engines suggests this is around the norm. I wouldn't panic trying to find a bigger one if I were you.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
bump....
so is it ok to remove the battery overnight to charge it?
I want to do this as the car may be standing for a while... and I can't bare the cost of a new battery. this car will be the end of my savings!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm surprised that a 680 cold cranking amps will start the 2.4 --- I use one that level to start my 2lt zetec race engine and it's adequate but only just , especially if there are multiple starts needed around the paddock. The problem with going for the 90ah is of course that it will be way heavier than a 70ah and having extra weight right above the front wheel that steers and drives , increases understeer --- which all front wheel drive cars suffer from anyway.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
bump....
so is it ok to remove the battery overnight to charge it?I want to do this as the car may be standing for a while... and I can't bare the cost of a new battery. this car will be the end of my savings!
Yes, you may have to reset the clock and you will lose the trip a and b settings

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Thanks lovelyred :)
name made me chuckle!

right I'm off to remove it now... fun to be had tomorrow morning when I need to go to work!
given my current luck with my old 156 I should be scared to do this!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
grr! after struggling with the very tight space to pull out the battery I find that my charger is for batteries between 20ah and 70ah! ARGH! :cry:

the battery is 90ah 440a. sounds a bit odd, and no insulation jacket! although I cant see one fitting in such a tight fit.
Should I try using my charger anyway?

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Yeah, it will be fine. Worst case scenario it will trip out and need to be reset.(there is normally a reset that pops out if its overloaded. I wager it will be absolutely fine.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
hmm thanks,
its an argos jobby so no reset or any other fancy stuff! I'm worried about it popping the house fuses or draining the battery instead of charging it!

annoyingly my mechanic friend is out of town! He does have a decent charger!

*Gah it didn't work! somewhere within 20mins it stopped charging, it saw the battery as fully charged :(
which means if I can't find a charger up to spec the battery will die soon as my car still alarms if I use the key instead of the fob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts