Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I'm trying to remove the steering wheel of my 147 gta, but I'm having some difficulties so I hope someone can help me a bit.

So far I've removed the airbag, but the 24 nut is wrapped with some kind of clip which I think locks the nut so it won't come loose.

I'm attaching a pair of pics so hopefully they will make it clear to see what I mean.

How do I remove the nut? Extracting (pushing up) the clip first? Bending the clip?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Regards.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How did you remove the airbag? I need to fit new buttons i bought because the old ones were worn.

Basically I need to know, how long to leave the battery disconnected, and
what size tools to remove the airbag,

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iainfm, isn't this clip supposed to avoid the nut moving? I'm afraid of breaking the clip.

John00147, I had the battery disconnected for a day, because I'm removing the whole dash. I've read somewhere an antire hour is enough to play safe. You can remove the cover unbolting three allen bolts in the rear of each arm. You can use a mirror to make it easier. Once the cover is off, raise it a little so you can reach the airbag connection underneath the cover. You need to lift a little security clip, then disconnect the whole connector. Use a flat screwdriver to lever it gently on both sides, never pull from the cable!

Regards.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I recently changed my buttons ian, all i did was undo the 3 x 5mm allen bolts from the back, removed the cover and gently lifted the airbag up so it sat on top of the wheel, you can access the buttons for removing and replacing without ever disconnecting the airbag itself.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
How do I remove the nut? Extracting (pushing up) the clip first? Bending the clip?
Hmmm. . . at first glance it looks like a tab washer, but on closer inspection the nut is sitting in the washer, so bending the tabs back clear of the nut still won't let the nut turn relative to the washer.

eLearn just says 'undo the nut', with no reference to any locking device. As there's no keyway in the shaft which would be required for a tab washer to lock onto it, my guess is that what you have is a shakeproof washer which is tabbed onto the nut so that the nut can't be fitted without it. If that's what it is, the nut & washer will unscrew as a unit.

J

·
0 Posts
looking at that i would have said the tabs on the clip need to be bent back to expose the nut, that 'washer/clip' is single use though

if the battery is disconnected for more than an hour then it is safe to remove the airbag from its connector, just remember to connect it back up after you have put it all back together :thumbs:

·
Registered
547 Posts
looking at that i would have said the tabs on the clip need to be bent back to expose the nut, that 'washer/clip' is single use though

if the battery is disconnected for more than an hour then it is safe to remove the airbag from its connector, just remember to connect it back up after you have put it all back together :thumbs:
Looking at the picture supplied it looks as though they are one complete unit as not only the tabs go around the nut but the bottom of the washer also, don't why it is this way!!!! But I would try a bigger socket to encompass the whole thing as it seems as though thats the way it's supposed to come off from the pictures supplied:thumbs:

·
Registered
547 Posts
TechMonkey is correct :thumbs:

I removed mine recently
Thanks mate you've just given me a nice warm happy glow inside it's good to be appreciated once in a while, the diesel engines on Royal Marine Landing Craft are full of these things thats why I knew what to do(not being big headed or anything but I think it was staring us all in the face:lol: ) Anyway thanks for the feed back:thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts