Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Okay I've searched and have multiple answers as usual!! Basically, I’m looking to remove the steering wheel to get at the indicator/lights control stalk (there’s a loose connection in there somewhere).
I know that to do this I have to remove the steering wheel airbag and clock-spring, but just want to know what the correct procedure is. What do the dealers do? Is it just remove the battery? I REALLY don’t want the bag(s) to go off!!

Thanks in advance

Des

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had the same dilemma. But I took it to the dealers in the end.
If you are going to try and do it yourself make sure the battery is disconnected as that will mean no power to air bag - can someone confirm that will stop the air bag going off?
Have you managed to remove the steering wheel cowling yet? If not there are 3 screws on the bottom part. Once thats off there are 2 more screws to remove from the top cover. These screw upwards and are at the top let and right sides at the front of the column. Look carefully as they are there and you will see them. Don't do as I did and forced that cover - I snapped the lugs where the top cover screws go in. Now I can't screw tight the top cover :(

Whoops - fogot to say that the above is on a 156 :)

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
disconnect the negative terminal of your battery and leave it disconnected for an hour (i don't know exactly how long it should be, but i'm sure it's less than an hour, so leave it thatlong to play safe)
after that your airbag won't go off ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts