Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after a bit of advice. I used some spray adhesive on my garage, it was a cold day and some of the adhesive was blown onto my car 5 metres or so away, I didn't notice at the time, but now I have some adhesive on the car and it seems pretty solid. There's a few bits where it has landed, pretty stringy (at first thought some spiders web landed on the car).
Some is on the paintwork, some on the glass.

What's the best way to remove ( too tough for just my fingernail).
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
What adhesive did you use?

I find for most adhesives an acetone or Isopropyl solvent works well - not sure what affect it would have on your paint though - especially acetone.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the offending stuff if it helps.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I had to remove vinyl wrap that was 10year old on my car.....one removed with heat guns and steam cleaner because the vinyl was so only it separated and left all the glue on the car. I tried everything and the best product is called goo gone it’s amazing!! Let it soak and eats away so you can just rub it off so easy..... just wish I found the product earlier as I spent bloody hours before hand.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers, the good news is that after a couple of weeks it seems to be coming off a little more easily, hopefully the rest with come off with a week or so

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
There is a solvent that should work if you can get it. It is one that we used to use on main-frame IBM tape decks with abandon, we didn't know better. So if you do use it take care! It is called trichloroethane, or trike for short.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a solvent that should work if you can get it. It is one that we used to use on main-frame IBM tape decks with abandon, we didn't know better. So if you do use it take care! It is called trichloroethane, or trike fir short.
No longer legal in the UK, I don't think.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
No longer legal in the UK, I don't think.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
No longer legal anywhere I would hope! There may be a suitable and much safer substitute though.

Propanone aka acetone may work but it affects quite a number of plastics.

·
Registered
38,013 Posts
Isopropyl alcohol is what I would use. Acetone will attack paint.

At work we have used Jizer to remove sticky residue from stuff.

·
Registered
716 Posts
for gods sake don't use acetone, it'll strip your paint off and melt plastic too. That stuff will come off with white spirit or petrol and it wont attack your paint or plastic. After you get the glue off clean with soapy water to get the white spirit or petrol off. I worked as a modelmaker and set builder for many years and have used nearly every solvent, glue and paint there is. These two are your safest bet. Also as you are finding out that type of glue breaks down really easily so in time itll come away on its own.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So bit of an update, after leaving for a while much of it seemed to come off a little easier, however what really helped was bug and tar remover. All good now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts