Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY GTV has got tinted windows i'm afraid to say! Not black, but like a dark smoke effect. I have decided that I want to remove this as I think it looks pants...

It has been professionally applied I would imagine as it's perfect, no bubbles or nicks in it.

I have asked a few people about this already and they have tried to convince me to leave it as it's a nightmare to remove as it's glued onto the glass???!

Has anyone attempted this? I can see this taking me hours of picking and scratching!

There must be an easy way!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Depends very much how the tinted film (or whatever it's called) is attached...

I once helped a friend to remove tints from the back windows and it was pain in the a**, because the film was "sticker"-kind and the clue was left on the glass :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Pasi said:
I once helped a friend to remove tints from the back windows and it was pain in the a**, because the film was "sticker"-kind and the clue was left on the glass :eek: :eek:
I'd say you'd have to be bloody careful of the heating elements on the rear window. Could you heat it up with a hairdryer or something and then try peel or scrape it off??

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Thank god I wasn't around anymore when they started to take the rear window tint off :eek:

I only helped with the back side windows :eek:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm having second thoughts, but I don't want it on there. :mad:

I heard somewhere that spraying on undiluted ammonia helps disolve the glue? Sounds a bit dangerous to me...

I might just break all the windows and tell the insurance it was vandalised! :D

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Paul_jackson said:
I heard somewhere that spraying on undiluted ammonia helps disolve the glue? Sounds a bit dangerous to me...
Nope, don't go down that route. It will destroy the interior.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
;) Try phoning someone like South Coast Tints in Southampton,they should know how to get the stuff off,I believe most tinting firms also offer a de-tinting service.........might be easier that way :p

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FLO said:
;) Try phoning someone like South Coast Tints in Southampton,they should know how to get the stuff off,I believe most tinting firms also offer a de-tinting service.........might be easier that way :p

Well, sat in traffic last night, I began to pick at the edge of the tint of the drivers side window.... you can guess what happened next! :rolleyes: I was pulling off the tint in big sheets! :D All I have left to do now is the rear window.

The tint has left a sticky residue on the windows, but i'm sure some white spirit / glass cleaner / elbow grease could get it off!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all you need is some washing up liquid in hot water and a scourer, plus a bit of work....gets the glue off no problem :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts