Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I am attempting an install of a new head unit on a 147 but obviously I have to remove some pins due to the non-ISO conformity.

Quite simply put, I have tried using a little force to remove the wires coming from the vehicle end into the black ISO plug with no joy. Is there a knack to this? I am worried about using force from the vehicle end in case I end up with a bunch of wires in my hand and terminations still in the plug.

Cheers

Graham

·
Registered
862 Posts
There is a retaining lug on each blade. A watchmakers screwdriver placed down the length and then they should just come out freely. Personally tho' I would change the wiring set up on the HU rather than the car.
ps the adaptor leads are a waste of time - all they do is clutter up the limited space behind the dash.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Yeah, easier/better to change the wires in the headunit harness.

Unless, it's say a Blaupunkt aftermarket headunit which accepts ISO plugs directly into it.

Nearly all headunits come with some form of wiring harness. Say an Alpine, with an Alpine plug at one end (to go into the back of the headunit), and ISO plugs at the other end; or Pioneer-ISO, etc. If there's no ISO plugs on this harness, then it would be the time to buy an ISO plug similar to the ebay one, but with bare wires that you can solder to the headunit harness. Or, there are available replacement harnesses like Alpine-ISO, etc.

Then, do the wiring chance in this harness. Easier to do 'out of the car' on your bench.

:)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Before this gets moved to the ICE forum never to be seen again, just thought I'd say that sometimes if pins are really stubborn, another option might be to cut the wires (of the headunit harness), swap over, solder and heatshrink. That also makes it clear that the switcheroo has taken place :thumbs:

-Alex

·
Registered
387 Posts
There is a retaining lug on each blade. A watchmakers screwdriver placed down the length and then they should just come out freely. Personally tho' I would change the wiring set up on the HU rather than the car.
ps the adaptor leads are a waste of time - all they do is clutter up the limited space behind the dash.
Sorry but thats not true, I used one on mine and it fitted no problem with no messing about. Plus means I can take out the unit and put the old back in no problems when it comes to sale time.

·
Registered
862 Posts
How do you mean it's not true?........ there is a retaining lug........you do need a watchmakers screwdriver........the adaptor does use up limited space and they cost money ergo waste of space and cash!

·
Registered
387 Posts
What does the space matter? What are you going to keep behind your stereo?

And the cost of the adapter far outweighs the time it will take to snip all of the wires, crimping them and then doing it all again when you want to take the head unit back out when you sell the car, common sense says use an adaptor.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm not going to argue about an adaptor (extension!)the blades come out of the iso plugs easily and re-insert easily wherever you want them! two minutes tops - no expense and no hassle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts