Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh the joys.

I'm going to be changing my clutch very soon, drive way jobbie too :vomit:

Do I need to remove the sub frame to get the box out or can I get away with just removing airbox etc to help maneuver it out?

Removing the sub frame seems like the biggest part of the job so any way to avoid this would be a bonus!

I haven't had chance to have a proper look yet so any pointers would be appreciated. :thumbs:

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Oh the joys.

I'm going to be changing my clutch very soon, drive way jobbie too :vomit:

Do I need to remove the sub frame to get the box out or can I get away with just removing airbox etc to help maneuver it out?

Removing the sub frame seems like the biggest part of the job so any way to avoid this would be a bonus!

I haven't had chance to have a proper look yet so any pointers would be appreciated. :thumbs:
No need to take the sub frame off, only worth removing it if you are thinking of doing the ARB bushes and lower arms at the same time

Ned

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats good news then, most threads I see people are removing the sub frame!

Any particular things I should be wary of or is it relatively simple?

Cheers.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Thats good news then, most threads I see people are removing the sub frame!

Any particular things I should be wary of or is it relatively simple?

Cheers.
We do them day in day out so to us it is simple

You know what its like when you do something regularly it becomes easy :rolleyes:

Ned

P

·
0 Posts
as a first timer or novice, most folk find it easier to drop the subframe down, but not neccessarily off,

or so i gather!

i have a man that can, and with what he charges, it isn't me worth getting the Joanna's out the tool box and losing a day, oh, and pint of claret!

practice makes perfect eh Ned?

cheers

shrew

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I understand what your saying.

My mate is on standbye if I need him but seeing as we're close friends and he won't charge me, I like to do the majority of the donkey work and get him if I'm really stuck!

He was pretty sure we wouldn't need to move the subframe but thought I'd better check, cheers for the help gang.

C

·
0 Posts
Removing it makes things easier, particularly if you're doing it on a driveway on axle stands. Been there, tried it both ways.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I need to weigh up the easier access to the gearbox V the PITA of removing all the sub frame.

C

·
0 Posts
It's not that difficult to remove... It can be difficult to hook it back in between the lower arms though.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
when me and a mate did my old sportwagon sub frame had to be dropped........no way on earth of getting box out without dropping it.......took 2 competent spanner monkeys around 10 hours..as exhaust and turbo had to come off.......as nut heads where gooosed

we did it in may when it was warm, also on a drive...........to do it in this weather ...........no way !!!!! eeeeeeek

·
Vendor
45,757 Posts
when me and a mate did my old sportwagon sub frame had to be dropped........no way on earth of getting box out without dropping it.......took 2 competent spanner monkeys around 10 hours..as exhaust and turbo had to come off.......as nut heads where gooosed

we did it in may when it was warm, also on a drive...........to do it in this weather ...........no way !!!!! eeeeeeek
Was that a 2.4 10v? We usually take the subframe off to do those.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Was that a 2.4 10v? We usually take the subframe off to do those.
yup.........hell of a tight squeeze......engine hoist and creative jiggling and wiggling got it out, with subframe dropped but not removed

so what ur saying pud, is its not allways the case.......thought it was

there would be a good sticky........motors wot need subframe dropping etc

Gary

·
Vendor
45,757 Posts
yup.........hell of a tight squeeze......engine hoist and creative jiggling and wiggling got it out, with subframe dropped but not removed

so what ur saying pud, is its not allways the case.......thought it was

there would be a good sticky........motors wot need subframe dropping etc

Gary
On the 2.4 10v you do need to drop the subframe to get the box out, but on the 1.9 16v you don't, cause the engine is a bit shorter there is more room.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 2.4 has another cylinder to add into the mix though surely? That would no doubt affect whether the subframe needs to come off or not (gearbox and engine length will increase with another piston in place).

C

·
0 Posts
True, but the gearbox in both applications (and the V6) is pushed as far over to the passenger side as it will go. The extra length of the 5 pot pushes the engine close to the drivers side chassis leg, not the other way around.

Having said that, there is the variable of gear numbers to consider, which may result in a shorter gearbox, but its position relative to the passenger side chassis leg should be the same in order to maximise the room around the cambelt and to optimise weight distribution L <--> R

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try and do it without removing the subframe, if I can't then I'll look to remove it.

I work out doors so a bit of cold doesn't bother me, no doubt I'll be sweating like fook when I'm in full swing anyway :lol:

C

·
0 Posts
Fairy nuff good luck. Just remember it has a pull clutch;

You need to remove the slave cylinder before you try to take the gearbox off.

The clutch release bearing goes on the input shaft of the gearbox. You lock it into the centre of the pressure plate AFTER you've refitted the box by turning the actuating arm the slave operates on.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts