Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my on going saga of strip down, I attempted to remove Alternator as the pulley seized causing this nightmare.

First, Removed the power steering pulley relatively easily, removed the Air Con pulley and thought I was on home straight and removed the short bolt on Alt. Then spent all afternoon trying to remove long bolt on alternator without success. :(

Have removed engine mount on belt side, tried lifting engine on trolley jack, tried lowering engine on jack, tried tilting engine back by jacking front of engine but I'm stumped, I am achingly close to the big gap of the wheel arch but might as well be a mile away. I can't get the long Alternator bolt out as it comes as far as chassis and I'm stuck!

So, someone please tell me it's something simple that I need to do as at the moment, I'm contemplating unbolting subframe and the other thought is should I unbolt the three pulley mounts on the front left of the engine? Please tell me this is an easier job than I'm thinking as I'm currently stumped!? :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you tried the car on axle stands at the front (maybe 2nd or highest setting) and then lowering the engine...this gives the engine a bit further to travel down, watch out for pipes getting crushed against the subframe. You can see these pipes with the belt side wheel off. I had trouble with the engine mount and this resolved it.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Raz,

I tried dropping the engine as far as it would go but the subframe prevents it going any further.
Surely, you don't have to remove subframe to change the alternator!?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just had a quick google and came up with this thread... does not look fun

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Worse job on a 159 my indy said. When mine was being replaced, the bumper and everything behind it was out, for some other work.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Stuart but alas that doesn't solve my issue as that fella got his mechanic to do it.
BigJim, it is a pig of a job, I have bumper, radiator, fans, air induction off and I think I have two choices,

1.) Remove the bracket that bolts to engine and all three pulleys are bolted to. I had a go at cracking one of the bolts earlier but I think I need to eat more spinach.

2.) Undo/loosen the two bolts on subframe each side front, loosen the strap bolt from wheel arch to subframe and loosen the 4 bolts on the rear of subframe (2 each side) This I hope will let subframe hang a few extra inches and facilitate the engine to go low enough to reveal bolt gap in wheel arch?

* Then with subframe lowered I can remove sump to see if I can locate the 11 missing needle bearings from my rockers that exploded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts