Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Solved* Remove oil filter from housing

Hi Guys,

I'm stuck while changing the oil filter. I don't seem to get the oil filter separate from the housing. I tried holding the housing and turning the little plastic thing on the bottom (all directions) including pushing and pulling while turning the thing.

How to get this thing loose... Help is very welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm stuck while changing the oil filter. I don't seem to get the oil filter separate from the housing. I tried holding the housing and turning the little plastic thing on the bottom (all directions) including pushing and pulling while turning the thing.

How to get this thing loose... Help is very welcome.
Pull.

That's it. Hands around the filter and the top portion and PULL.
It's usually at bit tough to get off, but it's the only way.

The filter just slides past the bottom "Thing"

·
Registered
332 Posts
The spindle you are holding runs up the inside of the filter. Hold the filter element and push the spindle through the hole. (Ive been known to bash the spindle on a table using a couple of rags to avoid damage before now on similar designed setups.) They can be quite tight so perseverance is the key ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*Solved* Remove oil filter from housing

Sorry for my late reply, the filter eventually came off thanks to the advise of you guys. It was really really tight. Anyway since my hands were covered in oil, I didn't reply right away.

I also changed my gearbox fluid, which was actually easier than changing the engine oil (due to stuck sump plug).

Anyway, me and the car are two happy campers again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts