Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just a quick question, how do you remove the Front Bumper of my AR 156? Is it easy enough? Why i ask you say!! Well i have been told if i refit the missing Headlight Washers i need to remove the bumper as they are bolted from underneath..is this true? or do they just clip on?

Should i keep the look without the washers or with them??

Your opinion is much appreciated.

Lee

V

·
0 Posts
Hi Lee

The headlight washers are held on with an almight great big nut underneath the bumper. When I tried to undo mine to transfer to a new bumper the plastic sheared so be gentle with it if you are removing.

The bumper has 4 T20 torx bolts under the centre grille sections (which are held in place by 2 philips screws on either side of the upper grilles and 2 in the central grille section), then there are another 3 T20 torx bolts unber the front bumper lip and and additional 2 each side of the top of the bumper which screw in to the underside of either wing.

Many people advise removing the wheels and arch liners to get at these but I found that putting the wheels on opposite lock and prying the edge of the arch liner away gives enough access with the right tool.

The washer hose feeds from the left hand side of the front of the car and the fog light wiring is clipped in to the right hand side, you may have to free these or disconnect to allow you to remove the bumper fully to work on.

As the Haynes saying goes,"refitting is the opposite of removal".

I couldn't find a replacement bumper in my colour with the washer cutouts, so I disconnected my headlight washers and fitted a bumper without them, but the front end does seem lacking without them. Having a bumper with the hole, but no washer just looks wrong, so if you have the time and patience to refit the missing one, its worthwhile.

Best of luck

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
if you can get the front of the car high enough, you can get at the 6 bumper-to-wing bolts from underneath the front, without needing to go in from the wheel area and remove the wheel and arch liner.

V

·
0 Posts
if you can get the front of the car high enough, you can get at the 6 bumper-to-wing bolts from underneath the front, without needing to go in from the wheel area and remove the wheel and arch liner.
There's not 6 bolts, just 4....2 either side. The other 2 that look like bolts are just locating pins which clip into holders in the underside of the wing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I managed to get a replacement front bumper without the holes for the washers and in the exactly same colour (bonus):thumbs: But when it came removing the original bumper it was a total nightmare, where the bolts had been there since new they had rusted and when i went to undo them the screw heads simply broke:mad: So i had to drill out the studs and retap them. And then, lining up the bumper was fun NOT!!!! it was great on the drivers side but the passenger side was sticking out to much which was noticeable. So i had to drill another Small hole and screwed in a self-tapper while holding the bumper straight. At least the bumper wont fall off..:lol: And it wont be coming off in the near future thats for certain...

It is a job that i wish i had a garage to do.. :lol:

Had anyone have the same problems?

V

·
0 Posts
Odd that the bumper didn't sit straight.....playing devil's advocate, your 156 hasn't been in a front end knock has it? That's the only thing I could think of that would sit the bumper skew.

Knowing what the bolts were like on my exhaust when I changed that, I lliberally dosed all the bolts with Holts Freeze & Release, its the best stuff I've ever used for old and rusted bolts.

Sounds like you had fun though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Odd that the bumper didn't sit straight.....playing devil's advocate, your 156 hasn't been in a front end knock has it? That's the only thing I could think of that would sit the bumper skew.

Knowing what the bolts were like on my exhaust when I changed that, I lliberally dosed all the bolts with Holts Freeze & Release, its the best stuff I've ever used for old and rusted bolts.

Sounds like you had fun though.
As far as i know, it hasnt had a front end knock and doesnt look as though it as. Maybe the car i removed the replacement front bumper off, maybe had a front end.. But it is all done now thank god!!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The bumper has 4 T20 torx bolts under the centre grille sections (which are held in place by 2 philips screws on either side of the upper grilles and 2 in the central grille section), then there are another 3 T20 torx bolts unber the front bumper lip and and additional 2 each side of the top of the bumper which screw in to the underside of either wing.

Many people advise removing the wheels and arch liners to get at these but I found that putting the wheels on opposite lock and prying the edge of the arch liner away gives enough access with the right tool.
Sorry to dig out this old thread, but I thought I would just add some comments as this kind of info is so useful. (I removed my bumper this morning).

On a 1998 156, the bumper is held by T30 torx bits, not T20. Again, on the 1998 model, there are 3 (not 2) torx bolts which attach the upper edge of the bumper to the lower edge of the front wing. On later models I think the 3rd bolt was replaced with some kind of clip (as stated earlier in this thread) and I can see why - it's an absolute pig to get at unless you completely remove the arch liner. All in all, it's a pretty frustrating job.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Oddly, I've always found that there are three bumper to wing torx bolts on the offside, and two and a spring clip at the front of the nearside.....no idea why.......except that getting at that one with the air filter box in the way would be a real pain....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts