Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to the board,

My newly acquired 159 has the fake brushed aluminum interior trims, and I thought I'd give it a go to have these skinned with carbon fibre. Can anyone provide information about their removal from the car? It seems the center console and gearshift surround are easy enough as there's already guides on here about that, but what about the rest (doors, above glove compartment, left of steering wheel, steering wheel itself)?

Many thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Gear surround - unbutton gear gator, tuck your fingers in behind the gear knob (by 2nd, 4th, 6th) and lift the rear first. Once released look underneath and unclip the electrical connector for the buttons. Finally lift over gear knob and away.

Centre console - remove radio to reveal screws. Remove heater nozzles to reveal more screws. There are a couple of screws on the bottom edge too. Then pull away from dash. Undo electrical connectors before removing.

Dash trims (x2) remove end plates of dash (open door - see in door jam between door card and dash) revealing one screw. remove screw then gently pull trim away from dash, its just on clips.

Steering wheel - turn steering wheel to 90 degrees from straight ahead, remove lower steering column cowl (4x screws I think) to reveal a small circular hole in the back of the steering wheel. Insert the biggest, longest flat point screw driver you can fit up here and twist to release the clip holding in the airbag. Rotate wheel 180 degrees and repeat on other side. This removes airbag. Can't remember how it goes from here but its obvious.

Door card bits are the most annoying - you need to remove the door cards to do this. you need to remove the handle surround, door grab / window switch panels and the courtesy light on the bottom before removing a load of screws around the card and then pull card off. Its plastic welded on so you have to pop the welds.

I can get eLearn door card instructions for exact reference if needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thank for your informative reply. Looks like vinyl wrap in the picture? Going for real carbon though, so an absolute must to remove the items.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might be wise to do a search as someone on here had this done professionally and it was not a success....!
Did a search but didn't find any information about such a project going awry. Could you perhaps point me in the right direction?

What about hydro dipping these parts has anyone tried this

Hydrodipping shouldn't be a problem if you just ascertain that you have a perfectly smooth surface and spray them with clear paint afterwards.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Cool I've got a local company here that can do this plus work in bodyshop so may do a different colour and laquer unsure yet

·
Registered
283 Posts
Good luck, but you had better check that the company doing the work are removing material from the parts you give them, if they are simply wrapping what you give them the parts won't fit when you come to put them back as they will be thicker and wider due to the material thickness of the wrap.

·
Registered
361 Posts
ive got some silver carbon fiber sticker that i bought for a project..
lately been thinking to cover the aluminium with the carbon fiber look in silver, so it wouldnt look too much different, but the scratches would be covered

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
What about hydro dipping these parts has anyone tried this
I do a spot of hydro-dipping and am currently undertaking this process with a set of console / trim panels I recently acquired.

Not had them long so only just got them back down to bear metal (previous owner spray painted them - badly).

Will hopefully get to acid-prime them this weekend.

Not sure whether to go for Carbon fibre or if I do a brushed metal dip print on them. Not decided yet.

There is the wild card of white carbon fibre finish (as my '59 is white).

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Greetings to the board,

My newly acquired 159 has the fake brushed aluminum interior trims, and I thought I'd give it a go to have these skinned with carbon fibre. Can anyone provide information about their removal from the car? It seems the center console and gearshift surround are easy enough as there's already guides on here about that, but what about the rest (doors, above glove compartment, left of steering wheel, steering wheel itself)?

Many thanks for any assistance.
Yeah I've posted a picture guide on how to do this (not figured out how to link to it thou)
check my posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck, but you had better check that the company doing the work are removing material from the parts you give them, if they are simply wrapping what you give them the parts won't fit when you come to put them back as they will be thicker and wider due to the material thickness of the wrap.
Cheers for the advice mate, but will be doing this myself and already did a few pieces to my 156 which turned out quite nice. No real issues with reinstalling the items afterwards, as you pointed out the thickness of the carbon layer were a little hard to fit at some spots, but the relevant surfaces would not be visible after installation anyway, so just sanded them down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts