Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most mornings my key remote will not open the car, the car just doesn't register the use of the remote.

But If I then unlock the car with the key the remote suddenly starts working again (so I can click unlock to disable the alarm before I open the now unlocked door).

The remote will then continue to work for a random period (sometimes it won't be working be the time I've walked my daughter into school, today it' still working nearly 4 hours later.)

It's very annoying!

Any suggestions on how to solve it?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible a low battery ...try a new battery in the key fob ..
does it happen with the spare fob too ?
It's not battery as it works fine once i've opened the door with the key.

My car didn't come with a spare. That's another large expense to come... :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
Should have explained ..had same issue on a previous car ( Mazda ) . The fob battery was low and it only worked intermittently. I remember it worked ok after I opened doors with key same as you said. As soon as I replaced battery it worked just fine. So hopefully might be worth a try !

N

·
0 Posts
You don't want to be driving around with access to only 1 key.

Loose it and it's going to cost you an arm and a leg.
(More than getting a replacement and programming it.)

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Get a replacement key asap. :eek:

The cost of losing your old (half) working key isn't worth risking. ;)

Sounds like your fob needs a new battery.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get a replacement key asap. :eek:

The cost of losing your old (half) working key isn't worth risking. ;)

Sounds like your fob needs a new battery.
OK, will sort out a new key asap.

Still can't see how it can be battery on the current fob though. As it works as soon as I unlock the door with the key. It's not a range thing.

I will however get it changed to rule it out. Hopefully it is just that...

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Hmmm, sensor fault :confused:

At least when you get a new key sorted you'll be able to see if its the old key or the receiver unit in the car. ;)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still haven't got this issue fixed. I now believe it requires a new body computer and just can't afford that right now.

The interesting thing is, since the weather has improved, it now works again! (and on the odd day it's been around zero in the morning it hasn't).

So it seems my body computer is bit weather sensitive. Not sure how, as it wakes up and works as soon as you use the key, but that is the best I can deduce so far....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had this problem during the cold weather. first had to unlock with the key then all was okay. There is a fix because Alfa know about the problem and they replace the slot in the dash where the key goes with an updated version. had my 06 done under warranty about a month ago, no problems since

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had this problem during the cold weather. first had to unlock with the key then all was okay. There is a fix because Alfa know about the problem and they replace the slot in the dash where the key goes with an updated version. had my 06 done under warranty about a month ago, no problems since
Really? Where did you get it done, as the places I talk to have no knowledge.

I'm not under warranty though... :(

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Black and White Garage, Cold Ash Near Newbury/Thatcham
Thanks.

Did you have a 4th year of warranty then?

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, my 159 appears to be suffering from exactly this! Baz, can you give me an idea of the repair cost? The warranty I've been provided with my Alfa "doesn't cover existing faults" and of course I knew about this when I purchased the car!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
another important aspect of having two copies (at least back in Italy!) is insurance: if you have only one key and your car gets stolen, the insurance may not pay you cos in theory the other key could have been used for the theft and it's your responsibility to make sure you have all the car keys.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The new slot fixes the issue.

The bad news is a new slot is around £250 and an hours labour on top of that to fit.

Get an indie to do it if you have to pay as the hour will be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The new slot fixes the issue.

The bad news is a new slot is around £250 and an hours labour on top of that to fit.

Get an indie to do it if you have to pay as the hour will be a lot cheaper.
Thanks for that, I'll see if I can put up with it until the new year. Was there any fob re-programming do you know?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that, I'll see if I can put up with it until the new year. Was there any fob re-programming do you know?
No. It's a straight replacement and probably quite easy to do.

I lived through one and a half winters and it drove me nuts, so in the end it didn't seem too expensive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts