Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

My wife and I are proud new owners of a 2000 156 Sportwagon V6. We picked it up last night and had our first problem today would you know!

We had the "common" problem of the keycode light staying on on the dash and the immobilizer not disengaging.

After reading the following posts:

Here
Here
and Here

So we wiggled the wire and woo hoo its back to having an engine that actually starts lol :rolleyes:

BUT

We also replaced the battery in the key (before we knew this was not the problem) and now when I press the unlock button or the boot/trunk button the key will only flash once (instead of continuously like before) and it will not open the doors or boot. It was working fine before we replaced the battery.

Obviously we put in brand new batteries too.

So... my wife really wants the remote locking to work, as do I...

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

:)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hey,

firstly congrats on the new bella!

I have been watching the SW you just bought... it's got black headlights which is unusual...

The key thing... maybe just needs re-coding by alfa.

or just get new keys if it keeps happening... getting a new key fob makes you feel like you have a new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the same problems of flashing once instead of continuosly.
Thought the battery is dead.
Changed to a new battery but didn't help.
Read somewhere here of some suggestion to take out the battery and leave it for a while, before replacing it back.
And voila, it operate as normal soon after !

If this fails u might need to recode the key / get a new key which is rather expensive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey hey

I did try leaving the battery out for a full day but no go :-(

I may have to try the recoding option... my wife will kill me if we have to spend 400-500 on a freaking key lol

AlphaTS56 - thanks! I hadn't even notice the black headlights but I just went out and looked and compared it to other SWs and you are right - cool!!! BTW, why did you call it bella? I am new to the alfa lingo lol

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hey hey

I did try leaving the battery out for a full day but no go :-(

I may have to try the recoding option... my wife will kill me if we have to spend 400-500 on a freaking key lol

AlphaTS56 - thanks! I hadn't even notice the black headlights but I just went out and looked and compared it to other SWs and you are right - cool!!! BTW, why did you call it bella? I am new to the alfa lingo lol

I'm super jealous of the headlights..... have an even closer look... is it a standard pair of lights that have been 'gta modded' ? (taken apart and resprayed) or is it an actual pair of GTA headlights?

The key re-code is about $95 from memory..

Now the fun bit.. get cracking on some subtle mods.... i see a new bonnet badge & some crystal side repeaters would be a good and cheapish start!

It'd be cool to meet up and check out your new Bella (italian for beautiful) ...
:thumbs:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is bizzare!

The lights are now... white...

When I said I checked it out before I really only looked on trademe at the photos. When I got home from work (had to wait soooo long to drive my new baby) i checked out the light and they are the standard lights. Not black AT ALL!

So...

Either they have been changed since the time of the photos on trademe or the lighting in the photos effected the reflection in the lights? You'll notice each picture of the lights is in shadow so maybe it's an optical illusion.

For those who want to see look here.

Took the "bella" out on the highway tonight and before I new it i was doing 130... with even reving high at all! It's incredible to drive... coming from a 2001 Nissan Avenir 1800cc auto, it's just amazing.

AlphaTS56 - it would be great to meet up! You are in auckland right? We are down in Tauranga but at some stage we may cruise up. Do you have pics of your SW anywhere?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Disconnecting the battery (under the bonnet) for a few minutes cured my similar central locking problem. Make sure you have the radio code though if you plan to try it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
those lights are def black in the images.. i suspect they had a set of GTA lights and then put back the stock ones to sell it! cheeky.

i'm doin a few subtle mods at the moment so maybe i can get some pics up of those...

be cool to meet up any excuse to get behind the wheel really.. you know what i mean..... have you started going the long way home yet?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
those lights are def black in the images.. i suspect they had a set of GTA lights and then put back the stock ones to sell it! cheeky.

i'm doin a few subtle mods at the moment so maybe i can get some pics up of those...

be cool to meet up any excuse to get behind the wheel really.. you know what i mean..... have you started going the long way home yet?
Gutted about the lights... but the alfa still looks sick so that's fine lol

It would be cool to see your wagon! I am looking for a new front badge - know where to get one?

And yup - there have been many excuses to go out in it this weekend so far :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
you can GTA your lights still.. i have been planning that for a while.... upgraded all my lamps the other day and that was tricky enough!

Best way to get a badge is just to do it through Alfa.
it is $73 from memory. just call them up with your chasis #

have you seen alfisti.net yet?

you can get some new side repeaters for real cheap.. or ebay it..

Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos -

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it for about an hour but still have the single red flash on the key and no central locking. So i think I will concede defeat and give alfa a ring to ask how much for a recode of the key!

And pick up a new badge for the front :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats on a beautiful ride, but the headlights look clear to me. Besides, anyone who's replaced one will probably agree that it's more expensive and time consuming than it would be worth just to recoup the GTA units.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure where best to post this:

I had the broken (not opening doors or alarming) 156 key problem.

Had to use the actual key in the actual door lock for a few weeks.

However after perusing the forum. I put a list of potential fixes together. Today I tried number 1. Take out the key battery for a few hours, put it back in (the right way round) - the red light came on as solid red. Took the key outside, pressed several times and Bingo all is now well.

Having been resigned to new or refurbished key, this is great.

Power to the Forum.:thumbs:

I suspect what caused the problem was I think I put the battery in the wrong way round a coule of months back. Realised immediately but the key didn't work agter that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts