Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 147 TS 1.6 03 plate and was thinking about putting remote start on it. The reason being I dont drive the car a lot and I only work about 6 miles from were I live and I find the engine not getting hot so thought that would be a good idea

I just want your thoughts on this and if anyone else has done that.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hi I have a 147 TS 1.6 03 plate and was thinking about putting remote start on it. The reason being I dont drive the car a lot and I only work about 6 miles from were I live and I find the engine not getting hot so thought that would be a good idea

Cheers

Steve
what temp your gauge showing as im sure you should get up to 90c within 4 miles

·
Registered
149 Posts
installing a block heater might be the best solution, but a TS should be hitting 60c after about a mile of driving IF the thermostat is working as it should.

·
Registered
30,031 Posts
ALSO, you need to be parking it in gear (don't rely on handbrake) so remotely starting isn't a good idea...

·
Registered
149 Posts
ALSO, you need to be parking it in gear (don't rely on handbrake) so remotely starting isn't a good idea...
why? proper working handbrake never gave me a single issue in 13 years. did have to replace the cables twice but that's pretty normal. 3 clicks and car doesnt move anymore, might need to add a 4th click if i was parking on a incline, but other than that i never got that "you must not use the parking brake were it was built for" story everyone keeps telling. it's not 1980 anymore when brakes seized if it froze a bit...

·
Registered
149 Posts
oiling up the cable in the summer (removing the rubber sock on one end and just fill it up with lube) is a awesome way of never haveing a seized cable...

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I always leave my cars parked in gear, doesn't cause the slightest bit of harm and gives the added piece of mind that if the handbrake were to jump off (as has happened on many occasions - a quick internet search will show you that) then the car isn't going to go walkies.
It also stops someone simply lifting up the rear of the car and towing it away (that happens often as well believe it or not).

·
Registered
149 Posts
It also stops someone simply lifting up the rear of the car and towing it away (that happens often as well believe it or not).
how is that different from lifting the front? :lol:

if they want to steal a 156 they can. it's easyer without a key to get in then with....:(

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If the front wheels can't rotate because its in gear an the rear wheels can't rotate because the handbrake is on then its going to be very difficult to tow away!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Cheers

Steve
Pointless but quite cool. Especially if you could make it rev menacingly at passers by.

Alternatively, get a bicycle or drive the long way.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
If the front wheels can't rotate because its in gear an the rear wheels can't rotate because the handbrake is on then its going to be very difficult to tow away!
If it was being towed when in gear it would just spin the engine over so they could still have it if they wanted to by lifting the rear up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts