Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi mate I remapped my 145 1.8 and believe it or not got serious power gains. Only use Alfa Tune motorsport in St. Helens he is awesome. Races Alfas etc. I had a 2.0 cloverleaf 155bhp an he got it to approx. 175!! no joke. His remapps are home made an cannot be be done else where, no-one else could read the software but i got computer readout to prove it. try him.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
and if not for the power, better engine flexibility, better respone and 9 times out of 10 better economy:thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
hi mate I remapped my 145 1.8 and believe it or not got serious power gains. Only use Alfa Tune motorsport in St. Helens he is awesome. Races Alfas etc. I had a 2.0 cloverleaf 155bhp an he got it to approx. 175!! no joke. His remapps are home made an cannot be be done else where, no-one else could read the software but i got computer readout to prove it. try him.
Gus is a legend ... but I really can't believe those figures only from a remap ... have you got any other changes to your car???

Personally I'd say you'll get a couple of extra BHP at the top end and it will be more drivable through the mid-range (alfa reduce the mid-range power to get round EU emissions regs) ... When I had my 2.0TS I looked at it and decided it wasn't worth the money ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
thats right, i had my rev limiter put to 8500rpm i thought it was too high but he said they are happy to rev to 10000!!! the driveability afterwards is a big difference as mentioned by Alfa-Red. Go for it mate i recommend it, let me know if you do.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
thats right, i had my rev limiter put to 8500rpm i thought it was too high but he said they are happy to rev to 10000!!! the driveability afterwards is a big difference as mentioned by Alfa-Red. Go for it mate i recommend it, let me know if you do.

:eek::eek: <---- fair play to you ... how long did your engine last :lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
id happily move mine too 8k, the 1.2 8v fiat engine,infact all the fire engines are tested to 10k before sale, so i can beleive that, i can also beleive the 20bhp gain with a rev limit increase like that:D

iv always thought that my 1.8 runs out of puff to early, gets to 5.5k and the pitch changes to a growl it starts to really shift, then before you know it im on the 7k limiter, change gear and iv got to get to the magic 5.5k again before it starts to go again, pain in the ****:rant:

fancy moving my limiter gus, not far from you either:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
id happily move mine too 8k, the 1.2 8v fiat engine,infact all the fire engines are tested to 10k before sale, so i can beleive that, i can also beleive the 20bhp gain with a rev limit increase like that:D

iv always thought that my 1.8 runs out of puff to early, gets to 5.5k and the pitch changes to a growl it starts to really shift, then before you know it im on the 7k limiter, change gear and iv got to get to the magic 5.5k again before it starts to go again, pain in the ****:rant:

fancy moving my limiter gus, not far from you either:D
it is true they run out of puff early, i was taking mine for a 'blast' earlier an its easy to get carries away, its the free revving i think. they are great cars when they work:lol: They do tend to bog down. If i'm to start off quickly the best way is to hold your revs around 3k and drop your clutch, not too hard though coz i've recently bust a bottom engine mounting! Give gus a call, he'sm got a web site, alfatune motorsport. cheers.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i found if i turn the asr off helps, just like in my stilo it gets involved far to early, slightest slip it detects and it cuts power and makes you bog down, none of that when my asr is off.

as for puff, yes early, sort of gets stopped in its tracks when it hits the limiter, starts to go at 5.5, still going at 7 then the limiter:mad: and the gaps betweem changes are such that it drops below 5.5k and i have to wait for it to get there again:mad:

flies when it does though:D

ill have to wait first, want a decent induction setup and then ill do the exhaust and map accordingly:thumbs:

good maps give alot of power, my stilo gained a fair amount. 168 to 197, took em ages to sort it mind. just shows you need the right people to do it propperly:D

yeah know about his website,keeps tempting me

pays your money and takes you choices:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,480 Posts

:confused:10000:lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:confused:10000:lol:
Busted :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi, i used to work for Audi Sport UK during the group B days, you will NOT achieve a 20BHP increase by remapping a standand Non Turbo engine, all they will do is smooth out and richen the mid range where manufacturers run the cars lean to adhere to meet MPG and emissions guidelines, you will feel a reasonable increase in `Urge` through 2500 - 4000rpm approx, with a decent air filter (which allows a little more freedom when remapping) you may find 4-5BHP with nearly the same increase in Torque.

Regards

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Hi, i used to work for Audi Sport UK during the group B days, you will NOT achieve a 20BHP increase by remapping a standand Non Turbo engine, all they will do is smooth out and richen the mid range where manufacturers run the cars lean to adhere to meet MPG and emissions guidelines, you will feel a reasonable increase in `Urge` through 2500 - 4000rpm approx, with a decent air filter (which allows a little more freedom when remapping) you may find 4-5BHP with nearly the same increase in Torque.

Regards
Exactly, the only point in remapping a TS is if you've had lots of other work done, de-cat, free flow exhaust, induction etc etc etc (the guy who claimed that Gus remapped his to 170bhp has been debunked :lol:)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts

Regards

A sensible post about remapping for once :thumbs:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cheers Rockhopper

We used to do loads of remaps and `proper honest engine work` by that i mean Porting & Polishing heads, Cams Lightening and Balancing, the stuff that sadly gets overlooked these day`s due mainly to cost and the fact its 2 weeks without a car, this is the way to go if you want to keep a car and drive it hard, i don`t like the word re map with normally aspirated engines i prefer `optimising the fueling` that is all we do, if you can get more air in within the safety parameters of the engine we then need to optimize the fuel to match, engine electronics do not give as much freedom as owners think, yes of course you can raise the rev limit! but software/metering units do not allways allow us to optimize fuelling that high in the rev range so basically you rev and rev the engine with next to NO gains (hence different injectors and fuel pumps when you go for big power)

The best way to go with a TS is decent Air Filter,De Cat free flowing exhaust and then a Re Map, you may gain 10BHP but it is the stronger and much smoother Mid Range you will notice and the car will be much nicer to drive.
Don`t make your TS another statistic by revving to 8k it will create loads of noise and go no faster and cause you problems sooner than you think.

Believe me 190BHP from a TS will cost close on £2-2.5K if done properly (trust me) and requires serious work, the car you will get back will be very different in driveability moving the power band higher up the rev range but you will then have stronger and more reliable internals

The 156 is a gorgeous car and we should try and preserve them by making SENSIBLE engine mods, there are so many TS failures in breakers due to poor maintenance and silly upgrades

Regards

·
Registered
503 Posts
Cheers Rockhopper

We used to do loads of remaps and `proper honest engine work` by that i mean Porting & Polishing heads, Cams Lightening and Balancing, the stuff that sadly gets overlooked these day`s due mainly to cost and the fact its 2 weeks without a car, this is the way to go if you want to keep a car and drive it hard, i don`t like the word re map with normally aspirated engines i prefer `optimising the fueling` that is all we do, if you can get more air in within the safety parameters of the engine we then need to optimize the fuel to match, engine electronics do not give as much freedom as owners think, yes of course you can raise the rev limit! but software/metering units do not allways allow us to optimize fuelling that high in the rev range so basically you rev and rev the engine with next to NO gains (hence different injectors and fuel pumps when you go for big power)

The best way to go with a TS is decent Air Filter,De Cat free flowing exhaust and then a Re Map, you may gain 10BHP but it is the stronger and much smoother Mid Range you will notice and the car will be much nicer to drive.
Don`t make your TS another statistic by revving to 8k it will create loads of noise and go no faster and cause you problems sooner than you think.

Believe me 190BHP from a TS will cost close on £2-2.5K if done properly (trust me) and requires serious work, the car you will get back will be very different in driveability moving the power band higher up the rev range but you will then have stronger and more reliable internals

The 156 is a gorgeous car and we should try and preserve them by making SENSIBLE engine mods, there are so many TS failures in breakers due to poor maintenance and silly upgrades

Regards
That was pure poetry, it almost bought a tear to my eye...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts